The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WICK3D3CLIPS3

Probationary Member
Sep 17, 2013
union city, Tennessee
Ok so a buddy asked if i would do some work for him as simple as pull his motor out and drop another in. So I pulled his (420A) out and his new engine came in and when I got there and unwrapped it Was a (non turbo 4G63)he has been trying to sell it and everyone is tellin him it wouldn't work in (ANY)(4G63 style) eclipse. I'm not sure why people are saying that. It should drop right in and plug up as far as I know. And ands so everyone is saying they're hard to boost. None of it it's making sense to me. everything looks the exact same as mine only non turbo.

yes you can convert a 4G63 N/T to a 4G63T, a piston swap would be best, due to the difference in ring locations.

The other big difference is there are no oil squirters in the non turbo block.

Now for dropping a 4G63 in place of the 420a, not a plug and play deal.

The engines are reversed from one another to start, difference in bell housing bolt patterns.

Yea that's what I told him. I just rebuilt his and put it back in. But he was trying to sell it and no one would buy it. Said it couldn't be boosted and I didn't know why they was sayin that because I didn't know why it couldnt.

As it sits it should not be boosted. The factory N/A ring gaps are to tight, and the first ring land is close to the top of the piston, When boosted, even to factory level, the rings expand and butt end then flex and crack the ring lands.

Hmm. See I didn't know that but I figured who ever bought it would rebuild it anyways (not knowing anything about it) but no one wants it. I think he's even asking like $400 for it. He gave over $1000. He just bought a 2.0 non turbo. He dont know anything about cars.

If I was closer I would go the $200 for a core engine.

Now you know what is needed to go turbo, it may be simpler to sell.

Hmm. See I didn't know that but I figured who ever bought it would rebuild it anyways (not knowing anything about it) but no one wants it. I think he's even asking like $400 for it. He gave over $1000. He just bought a 2.0 non turbo. He dont know anything about cars.

If he wants to sell it as a rebuilder than it needs to be in the 100-150 range. No one wants to spend 400 bucks on an engine that needs to be completly rebuilt. You can buy a nice running turbo short block for that.

It runs fine I'm just saying I would rebuild it if I didn't know the guy because I wouldn't want to take someone's word. Sorry it took so long to reply it wouldn't load up. Thanks for the info tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back