The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

First build advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitsuEclipse98

Probationary Member
Apr 23, 2014
eugene, Oregon
i just got myself a 98 eclipse gs on 4/20/2014. I noticed when i put clutch in that my rpms drop pretty low but then pick back up to 700-900 rpms. Other than that the car is in great condition. my engine compressions are at 210. Clean rebuilt motor! i made myself a shopping list of performance parts, but have a few questions about the 420A motor, which i have. Question : Can i fit a 20g turbo on a 420A motor? i have read that people are doing it on this forum, but according to website i am ordering parts from it says that the 20g turbo only fits a 95-99' 2nd Gen. 4G63/ 4G63T motor?

The 420a isnt the most economical motor to turbo... I think you should have picked up a gst or a gsx imo... Sorry

The 4g63 is turbo factory, and handles upgrades better as well as is cheaper to make power with stock internals.

The 420A can be built, but it's not cheap because it's a complete overhaul.

So I should shop for a turbo that isn't stock, for better performance? Also, Who will win- 420a or 4g63 with same stock turbos as each other ?

So I should shop for a turbo that isn't stock, for better performance?

Most 420a turbo manifolds have a T3 flange. 14b, 16g, 20g usually have a Mitsubishi flange. You will need to find a turbo that fits the manifold you decide to use. You will also need to rebuild the engine with upgraded pistons and rods and upgrade the fuel system and engine management.

Here's my current part list: CX racing coilover kit
Boost control
Aluminum flywheel
Straight pipe exhaust w/ manga flow head

Adjustable trailing arms
TD05 turbo exhaust manifold upgrade
Sheet metal intake manifold
Cam gears
Intercooler
Turbo timer
Short shifter
Air flow meter w/ filter
Stage 3 clutch system
Aluminum radiator

That's the whole list. Biggest concerns are getting the right turbo and the loser beneficial one, including the intake manifold and turbo exhaust manifold. I need to make sure these are compatible

Most beneficial *

I want 300+ hp

The only difference between the GS and the GST is that it comes with a puny stock turbo right?

No....that isnt the only difference. That "puny stock turbo," is just what you see. Gs-t/Gs-x are built stronger with stronger factory parts. Due partly to lower compression pistons and stonger rods, You can safely run higher-than- stock boost pressure without the need to upgrade parts. The fuel system in the turbo cars flows more...i.e. bigger pump and injectors. The ecu for engine management also "upgraded" to compensate for the added air/fuel of a turbo system. The clutches and transmissions are stronger.

n/t cars come with higher compression pistons, which will contribute to detonating alot sooner and at lower boost pressure.
even if you take all of the proper steps to add a turbo, youll likely have a harder time reaching the same power levels as a gst.

It can be done, but like someone said, in the long run it will be cheaper just to save all of that upgrading for a gst

you know anyone on this forum that has a 420A motor + turbo? id like to know what type of speed and power they are hitting before i make my decision

1995 Eagle Talon TSI, AWD Turbo

★ 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Red GST TURBO Amp 18" Whls 76K Orig. Mile

1996 turbo eclipse gst 5speed maybe trade

Those are a couple DSMs in ( From top to bottom ) Eugene, Eugene and Portland.

I know it's not what you want to hear. But the truth is it's an uphill battle with that 420a motor. Yes you can swap, but it will be a lot of stress, time and money. And yes you can upgrade the motor itself, but it will cost a lot of time and money and if money isn't really an issue.. you're better off getting a GS-T/X and either selling that GS or using it as a daily driver

you know anyone on this forum that has a 420A motor + turbo? id like to know what type of speed and power they are hitting before i make my decision

420A Turbo Conversion - DSM Forums

Here's the forum for that :rocks:

Thank you all for the info ! Im just going to stay with the GS and order the tread stone turbo kit and see how It goes

Maybe I'll like it, maybe not. Worst case scenario I install the turbo kit and trade it for a GST

That's not the worse case scenario. You can run into many problems along the way and end up ruining your car where no one will want to buy it off of you even if you managed to turbo it. Like others have said, it's best to start with the gst or gsx.

That's not the worse case scenario. You can run into many problems along the way and end up ruining your car where no one will want to buy it off of you even if you managed to turbo it. Like others have said, it's best to start with the gst or gsx.

This.

You will blow up your shit if you just slap on a turbo "kit" you need more the. Just a turbo to run one safely.

:beatentodeath:

This.

You will blow up your shit if you just slap on a turbo "kit" you need more the. Just a turbo to run one safely.

:beatentodeath:

Sure will. There's plenty of people out there that just try and turbo cars that can't handle it without the proper supporting mods. Ever meet young Honda owners that do this? Their car does not las very long.

Well at least he didn't ruin a real DSM. :ohdamn:
Seriously take everyone's advice and just sell it and buy a gst/gsx or daily drive your car as it is.
We are trying to help you. :beatentodeath::beatentodeath:

This is one of the main reasons everybody is tryng to steer you clear of this build man. As it sits it should not be boosted. The factory N/A ring gaps are to tight, and the first ring land is close to the top of the piston, When boosted, even to factory level, the rings expand and butt end then flex and crack the ring lands.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back