The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, and sending unit help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomousBanana

Probationary Member
Apr 23, 2014
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I recently bought a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that was sitting in a driveway for six years.

I took apart the engine, cleaned it and put new gaskets in. Drained the gas and put new in. Then i tried to start it.

The engine turns over and it seems like it wants to start but it wont. So I first checked the fuel pump and sender assembly, it looked okay from the outside, but when i got it out it looked corroded and had a yellowish orange buildup on it, so i felt like i would need a new fuel pump and sending assembly.

When i got a flashlight and looked inside the tank and saw the same stuff that was on the pump/sending unit.

I have looked everywhere for a gas tank alone and i cant seem to find it, if you have an idea of where i might be able to get one, i would greatly appreciate it.

Fuel Tank:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Fuel Pump + Assembly

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Any Questions? Please Ask
Thank You

Bummer on the tank... I recently sold a mint 1g AWD tank, and I'm only about 45 minutes from you. I know where there are two 1g AWD's near me that are complete. PM me if you would like more information.

Unless that is rust or the tank is punctured somewhere I would still try and clean it very carefully. What are the chances that one picked at the junk yard is any better than yours? Last time I was on the prowl for a sending unit at a junkyard in your area all the tanks had been punctured by the junkyard workers, I guess in order to save the 15 seconds necessary to remove the plug, too bad they could have sold the tanks for money instead...as mentioned before I would try Miller Imports for a used one

Unless that is rust or the tank is punctured somewhere I would still try and clean it very carefully. What are the chances that one picked at the junk yard is any better than yours? Last time I was on the prowl for a sending unit at a junkyard in your area all the tanks had been punctured by the junkyard workers, I guess in order to save the 15 seconds necessary to remove the plug, too bad they could have sold the tanks for money instead...as mentioned before I would try Miller Imports for a used one

The two cars I know of both have tanks in great shape. I have a box full of sending units that are in great shape as well, those parts are around in good condition if you know where to look for a deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

there is a business in my local area that restores gas tanks, radiators, etc for antique cars to brand new condition and he said that it would cost 400 to do it. Good Deal? or would i be better off buying a used one.

[/quote] There is a business in my local area that restores gas tanks, radiators, etc for antique cars to brand new condition and he said that it would cost 400 to do it. Good Deal? or would i be better off buying a used one.[/quote]

Can they repair the broken fuel pump studs? Regardless... $400.00 sounds like A lot!
Have you tried contacting "stangmurdera" (link to his profile is below) he might have something in stock. DSM Forums - View Profile: Stangmurdera

Make sure you check for any rust/corrosion inside the entire fuel system also. Fuel lines, Injectors, pressure regulator. All of those components will have to be thoroughly cleaned /flushed and maybe even replaced.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back