The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 22-23 spline swap shopping list-am I missing anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared_gibbs

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2010
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have a 1990 AWD. I purchased a 23 spline trans.

So far I have:
23 t case
Shifting cables
Cabin shifting assembly
Front axles - I read the 90 has a different size, can anyone confirm?
Axle seals
Act clutch kit

With the different sized axles up front I don't think it would mess with the center diff, is this correct?

Hoping to disassemble and reassemble in one shot. Wish me luck.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

You dont need a new tcase. Use the old tcase and the shaft from your old 1990 trans.
I need a new phone.

Last edited:
He means that the different spline is only for the transfer case. So unless you can Frankenstein your 90 t-case using a 23 spline then you need a 91-94 transfer case with the 23 spline with a 91-94 transmission. AWD axles are the same 90 to 94 to my knowledge but you could double check with any vendor (what do I know, I only own a FWD).

Also make sure the transfer case is from a manual the transmission is manual or auto if the transmission is auto due to the different gear ratio.

Ah! Anyway, to match a 91-94 transmission and a 90 transfercase he would need to either modify the transmission as you said or the transfercase. Not knowing how difficult either of those jobs would be I think using an already matching transfer case would just be easier all around. Unless there's any beneficial byproduct from keeping the 22 spline transfercase (the only one I know is the lighter all aluminum housing of some but not all the 22 spline transfercases) to justify the effort.

Pauleyman, not arguing with you about it being possible or simple, but from the OP original post he has already purchased a 23 spline t-case so he may as well use it. How hard would it be to swap the 23 spline in the 90 t-case? That would save some weight if an ll aluminum one was to be available.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I didn't want to open the trans as the one I purchased was recently rebuilt by Jack's, and I really don't know what I'm doing in there and I'm ready to put this trans issue behind me LOL. It's too hard to find the 22 spline in good shape so I thought it might be easier to pick up a 23 and Frankenstein where necessary. I got the t case and shifting equipment for cheap so I'm not bent about that.

I think I have all I need, just need to double check the axle size. (I didn't think about hubs, probably need those too if the axle size is different. Damn.)

I have the same thing going on here ,has anyone changed the inpout shaft on the transfer case instead of pulling apart trans ?

You can, but you have to press the bearing off and back on on this piece.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Or you could pop the end case cover off of the trans, pull the VC and put this in and reinstall the VC and put the end cover back on. Much easier like Paul said years ago. You would be changing this to a 23 spline shaft. Comes right out the transfer case side....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back