The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

fp red vs fp black

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvowagonIX

Probationary Member
May 1, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I want input on these turbo as im planning on using one on my next build, I know in the evo world they had many failure rates with these turbo, but I want real world opinions on who here is running it, how do you like it, spool and power wise and also reliability. Thanks

Failure rates in the evo realm has been found to be because of improper oil. FP has a wonderful write up on it that would be in your best interest to read it.

Failure rates in the evo realm has been found to be because of improper oil.
I'm sure it goes beyond that- there's obviously a reason there are no longer any journal bearing Green, Red, or Black turbos available in the Evo platform. Here's a hint:

Forced Performance said:
Forced Performance is proud to announce the debut of our 100% brand new, patent pending, dual ceramic ball bearing design within the FP RED™ Turbocharger for the Lancer Evolution X vehicles. This new design virtually eliminates any limit to allowable thrust load within the turbocharger while simultaneously reducing drag and rotational resistance to spool up. The increased thrust limit significantly extends the longevity of the turbocharger when operated beyond its published flow and boost limits and eliminates the turbochargers sensitivity to lubrication interruptions due to hard acceleration and cornering forces. Recent performance testing at the MHI Research and Development Laboratories in Nagasaki, Japan verified that the design dramatically exceeds the normal allowable thrust loads for TD05/6 type turbochargers and allows for a significant increase in the available airflow from the turbocharger without bearing damage.

I run a journal bearing red. I was looking for 500+ whp, and the turbo is rated for 59lbs/min. I feed it unrestricted from the filter housing with vr1 20w-50, and do not operate it over 30psi, or it's stated flow. On my 2.3 I see 56-58 lbs min at 28 psi, and it's been holding up fine for 5000+ miles.

If I want more power I'll buy a larger turbo. It's not worth pushing the turbo to 40 psi, for maybe another 6-7 lbs/min, and having the turbo eat itself.

As it sits now, the fp red, 2.3, restalled converter auto setup is way more responsive than my 2.0, evo3, ipt converter setup, and makes well over 100hp more.

Ok yea im not using the turbo on a dsm, its a honda motor, the last setup I had was a 1.6 single cam with a td06h-20g, spool was good, full boost at around 4k, but at the moment im looking into different turbo options, a bw s300 or dsm or evo fp red or black. Im aiming for 500+whp.

So im guessing if I go black, its best to go with the ball bearing setup and a good oil feed?

Ok yea im not using the turbo on a dsm, its a honda motor, the last setup I had was a 1.6 single cam with a td06h-20g, spool was good, full boost at around 4k, but at the moment im looking into different turbo options, a bw s300 or dsm or evo fp red or black. Im aiming for 500+whp.

So im guessing if I go black, its best to go with the ball bearing setup and a good oil feed?
You're obviously just throwing names out there at this point.

The DSM and Evo Blacks are just purpose-built OEM-fitment turbochargers with other wheels adapted. There's no difference in the rotating assembly or compressor potential- one just spins backwards from the other. The only reason you should choose a DSM Black is if you own a DSM or are using a DSM-flanged manifold....same goes for the Evo unit.

If not, just go for a HTA GT3582R which uses the same compressor as the DSM Black but has a Garrett GT35R-based CHRA, along with a T3-flanged turbine housing. Will outflow the same compressor wheel used on an OEM-adapted DSM or Evo Black hands-down.

I like the fact of an oem appearing turbo, if I was go to t3 based flanged turbo id do precision or birgwarner t4, but those frames are big, which is why im looking into a dsm or evo red or black, I like the evo flanged turbos due to the twin scroll which would yield me a better spool and torque curve. But the td05 flange for the dsm is common whivh I can work with.

I like the evo flanged turbos due to the twin scroll which would yield me a better spool and torque curve.
That's only true if you're fabbing your own full twin-scroll manifold using an Evo turbine inlet flange.

Just seems to me for the same money as the DSM Black (and less money than the Evo Black) you'd rather have a turbo that would be more-durable thanks to a Garrett GT CHRA, has a better-flowing turbine wheel and housing, and the T3 turbine flange and v-band outlet would be more-universal and easier to build around.

That's only true if you're fabbing your own full twin-scroll manifold using an Evo turbine inlet flange.

Just seems to me for the same money as the DSM Black (and less money than the Evo Black) you'd rather have a turbo that would be more-durable thanks to a Garrett GT CHRA, has a better-flowing turbine wheel and housing, and the T3 turbine flange and v-band outlet would be more-universal and easier to build around.

Well ill be fabbing up a manifold after buying the turbo. Id go with a borg warner before going with a garrett. So the decision was really between a borgwarner and the dsm fp red or black, reason for this post. Just wanted to see the views on persons running these turbos, how many miles etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back