The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4G63 swap to CA4A

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapart

Probationary Member
Apr 21, 2014
Gdynia, Europe
Hi all. My name is Paul and i'm from Poland. I just done 4G63 swap into 92 Mitsubishi Colt. Maybe word "done" isnt right cause i cant start it up. I have problems with wires so i think i have to ask some wisemen from here ;)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok. This is engine bay harness:

And there are two plugs from Colt i have to connect:

I found B-23 pin 11, 10 and B-22 pin 4 in 4G63 harness (c-59 pin 5, 6 and 2). For now i have these 3 wires only but i thought i can start it. I dont hear fuel pump is working and starter too. Any help with that?

ps. big thanks to 19Eclipse90 for his 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness topic

engine bay harness is from 4G63 or from Mirage?

on the 94 euro Colt/Mirage wiring manual I have, B22~B24 are the ECU connectors.

Engine bay harness is from 4G63, computer also. B-23 and B-22 are from "Control Wiring Harness and Body Wiring Harness Combination" and i think these are only i have to connect with c-56 to c-59 and c-67 in 4G63 harness. I'm i right?

many harness and 4g63 combinations...

harness of a galant is slightly different in connector address vs the eclipse and even the C5x/C6x/C7x Colt/Mirages...

do you know in particular which donor car yours came from?

Yes - my 4G63 is from 1 gen Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Now i think i have to find two wires in 4G63 harness: ground and consistent power.

tkrPerformance, thanks, i will write to him.

fuel pump relay is included in MPI relay [C63]. it has 8 pins, 4 for the ecu, 4 for the fuel pump control.

i could not get your B22~B24 sockets. based on the dsm manual i have for the 1G eclipse, these are engine connectors for the oil pressure gauge [B22], back up light [B23], and A/T solenoid control [B24], so i do not where you got your information.

i've also got the euro 4G92 wiring diagrams and [B21] is close to your [B22], in terms of the CEL and speed sensor [and tach, maybe].

study this, so you know what pins to hook up to power and ground: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/435961-1g-basic-ecu-mpi-circuit-function.html

i am also assuming that you've got a multimeter/tester around?

you would also have to think about wiring your AC circuit, since the eclipse circuit is quite different from the ca4 circuit.

eclipse AC fans are controlled directly by the sensors in the thermostat housing and radiator.

ca4 AC fans are controlled by the ecu based on feedback from the sensors in the thermostat housing [and radiator].

as i've said, [C57]~[C59] are you key connectors for the ecu power and those located under your dash, like ac and the meter panel. you need to know which 1G pins to hook up to your stock ca4 stock. i believe [C21] and [C22] are you key ca4 connectors.

i hope i did not make it harder for you...

First of all - big thanks for helping with that and i think i'm quite close to fire it up.

Ok. Via General Electrical ColtLancer92-95, page 65:

Two plugs i have in my dash board - B-22, B-23.

Now i have (check it please)
B-22 pin 4 Ingnition Switch -> C-59 pin 5
B-23 pin 10 Starting Relay wire -> C-59 pin 2
B-23 pin 11 Fuel Pump power -> C-59 pin 6

For now i see one thing - i dont have any 12V on ECU. Also i have to repair C-63 plug cause i have some two relays with custom wires... But this is easy.

ps.
AllanL, i just red your link and "The 1G DSM has two main circuits for the engine. The MPI circuit and the Ignition circuit. The ECU is connected to both but powered from the MPI circuit." So... power to 4G63 ECU runs from C-63, from 8pin relay?? If yes, i think we found my problem.

ps2.
After turning the key i have 12V on one C-63 wire :)

Last edited:
Yes C63 is connected to the MPI relay for ECU. 12V for it comes from two sources. One is the 20A MPI fuse on the fusebox beside the battery.

You are missing another 12V supply for the C63, which is IG1. This is the source for the fuel pump relay side of the MPI. And it is powered by the ignitiom switch, IG1,

The ECU has another 12V supply called battery back up. But that's just it, a power supply back.

Ok, now is everything clear :) I dont have c-63 plug, only cutted wires... i have to find colours of it. I dont have MPI like you show in "1G basic ECU MPI circuit function" thread, i have 8 pin relay.

Yes! It is 8pin relay 「Galant E3 is 10pin」. It is caĺled Multipoint Fuel Injection relay in the manual.

If your 4G92 is not carbureted, it should have an ECU/MFI/MPI relay.

Do you have the wiring diagrams for your CA4?

Based on the wiring manual i have for the CA4, here's your ECU/MFI/MPI relay circuit [C07].

Take note of the wire colors for this relay.

Attachments

• 4G92 MPI relay.jpg
    4G92 MPI relay.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,923
Last edited:
Thanks man, i hope i will start up today ;)

I have a plug like this (but with no wires):

I just bought my missing parts:

I cant figure what wires i can use to connect my old fuel pump relay with 4G63 harness (8 pins vs. 9 wires) so i will make it like it should be from beginning.

Your 4G92 was EFI? Carburetor?

Do you have a multitester?

Can you read these wiring diagrams?

What relay will you use 8wire? 9wire?

Yes, 4G92 use an EFI and i had 8 pin relay. I will use OEM 4G63 relay, with 9 pins. I have a multitester and i have 12V exclatly where i need it (on fuel pump wires f.e.) but reading diagrams is like magic to me ;)

Your Colt connector should be converted like below pin matching:

NC means no connection.

On your Colt relay connector, pin 1 is upper left pin [if connector is viewed from backside/wire side]. If our diagrams match, pin 1 is Black-Blue wire, pin 8 Black-Yellow wire. Pin 4 is also Black-Yellow, so be careful.

On your 1G connector, pin 1 should have no wires in it. Pin 10 is Black-Red.

I hope you can fire her up soon.

Attachments

• Evo to Galant MPI relay.jpg
    Evo to Galant MPI relay.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,178
AllanL, i think i will send you some beer oversea or maybe, as you are a wiseman, some mana points for your help ;)

I will wait for new c-63 plug, from 4G63, i think. Then rest will be just plug&play. Now i have this 4G92 plug:

Two 4G92 MFI relays:

My working place:

And a great mess i've got from previous ower:

And engine almost ready:

Hey Paul!

You're almost there...

I've been in this situation before, converting an 1G harness to fit a Galant E3 with an Evo 3 engine, so I know what 'mess' you're in now.

Why won't you just use the 4G92 MPI plug and the MPI relay, based on my pin out 'conversion'?

Good luck! It won't end here. Now is also a good time to study that wiring manual you have. Start from identifying the socket based on the wire colors and their address in the ECU plugs.

Send me a PM once you get it running.

By the way, your bonnet/hood will not hit the 4G63 timing belt cover?

Cheers!

Hmm, maybe you're right - i will try to pin up this now. New c-63 plug will be on monday cause i bought it on-line and i thought i can wait.

My bonnet? Oh now, i cant close it right now. I have to remove timing belt cover (bad idea i think) or make a Eclipse hump (my mate did it and it looks awensome). Like this:

Thats a very good idea! I love EVO III, almost the same as EVO VI - the best of all IMO ;)

Ok, after AllanL's schema i made this final table - i think i finally got it ;) I changed few colours in 8pin connector via 4G92 diagrams and my plug in hand:

My c-07 4G92 plug from Mirage:

A c-63 plug:

Tomorrow will be the big day for me ;) Once again, big thanks Allan - you rock! :rocks:

Last problem i think... After i turn a key i have 12V on pin 9 Inhibitor Swith. But there is no 12V on other wires. I'm sure that on 10 pin has to be constant power but... i dont have it. Where i can find it? In fuse box?

It should come from MPI fuse at fusebox in front, beside battery. Blue 20A fuse. Maybe it is busted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back