The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1998 GST FMIC Routing, Requesting Assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLSchwabe

Proven Member
Mar 21, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I purchased the GST some time ago and about a week after I purchased it the turbo began blowing smoke. I'm swapping it out ( I have no idea what it is ) for a 14B. Now after days of looking at 14B/16G installations, I've noticed that my FMIC is routed differently from 99% of DSM'rs and I was hoping to discover what may be the reason for this and which pipe(s) I would need to route it properly to a 14B.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It depends on which intercooler you have, some route the hot side piping directly across the front of the core to have the cold and hot side piping routed off the same side.

I personally don't like the kind you highlighted red, it blocks you from being able to use the entire surface of the intercooler.

You will need to buy a different core along with the hot side piping, or re-fabricate the direction of the entry point to the intercooler and fabricate the hot side pipes.

That is a Greddy style core. The hot side pipe runs over the top of the core and sometimes can cause overheating issues because the air cant travel over the top through the radiator. Heres what you can do.

The orange pipe is right off the end of the j pipe and attaches to where the top pipe from the core is. And dont make fun of my paint skills. . .

That is a Greddy style core. The hot side pipe runs over the top of the core and sometimes can cause overheating issues because the air cant travel over the top through the radiator. Heres what you can do.

The orange pipe is right off the end of the j pipe and attaches to where the top pipe from the core is. And dont make fun of my paint skills. . .

Oh okay thank you for that. I looked up the Greddy style core and you hit the nail on the head. I've asked a few people about the turbo... Friend says: 16G, Mechanic: "...some kind of Subaru turbo.. " and the original owner via text: " ... I think it's a 14B... "

I know there's not much info, not a picture ( yet ) but what is the most likely turbo to be installed? Could it be just about anything? I'm asking because I want to know generally what I'll need to get a proper fitment for the 14B for the IC piping. [ I.E: J-pipe discharge to driver-side, J-pipe discharge to passenger, L-pipe ( 90 ) etc etc. ]

And thank you for taking the time to make that diagram via paint. I really appreciate it :)

14b and just about any 16g we commonly use will use the same style j pipe. It will either come out in the drivers side of the crossmember, or the passenger side of it. For your setup, it would make more sense to come out on the passenger side closer to the pipe you need to attach it to.

For which turbo you have, you need to get a clear pic of the numbers stamped on the compressor cover. Use this to cross reference yours.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/313105-16g-serial-numbers.html

And your welcome.

14b and just about any 16g we commonly use will use the same style j pipe. It will either come out in the drivers side of the crossmember, or the passenger side of it. For your setup, it would make more sense to come out on the passenger side closer to the pipe you need to attach it to.

For which turbo you have, you need to get a clear pic of the numbers stamped on the compressor cover. Use this to cross reference yours.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/313105-16g-serial-numbers.html

And your welcome.

I wish it were that easy.. the turbo itself has had the serial numbers ground off the housing unit or it was never stamped... or it's some kind of E-bay turbo.. good news though... I got a perfectly working 14B from Craigslist for $100 so I'll be doing that install sometime soon.

With my current FMIC set-up should(LOL) the 14B bolt right up?

I wish it were that easy.. the turbo itself has had the serial numbers ground off the housing unit or it was never stamped... or it's some kind of E-bay turbo.. good news though... I got a perfectly working 14B from Craigslist for $100 so I'll be doing that install sometime soon.

With my current FMIC set-up should(LOL) the 14B bolt right up?

If your turbo looks like the one in the picture, it will be a direct swap. :)

Take a picture of the compressor wheel.

If your turbo looks like the one in the picture, it will be a direct swap. :)

Take a picture of the compressor wheel.

Okay. I'll try to have them posted sometime tomorrow.

( From the hundreds of posts I've read.. only 5% of people actually post pics after they say they will - Hopefully I'm in that 5% bracket.. :ohdamn: )

Here are those photos as promised. There's no bolt on pipe on the turbo like a typical J-Pipe. It looks like there was a pipe welded directly to it with multiple bends and connects at the stock SMIC location.

Sidenote: Any clue what sort of turbo this would be, out of curiosity? [ Maybe best asked in the I.D my turbo thread ]

Recirculate your bov!!!

I will. My kids lost the keys for both my DD and my Eclipse... so until I get it re-keyed... -.- ... sighhh..

What sort of piping would I use to do that? I'm a newb. Had a friend tell me to re-circ it but it's been lower on my list of priorities since the turbo blew its' seal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back