The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

grind down flywheel bolts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
So upon installing my new quartermaster twin disk clutch, i noticed that I somehow have 3 7bolt flywheel bolts, and 3 6bolt flywheel bolts. (7 bolts are 1.3mm shorter)

The 6bolt flywheel bolts are just a tad long, so in stead of spending 20 bucks to order 3 new bolts, could i just get away with grinding a little off the longer bolts? Or would that cause an imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly? Id think if i staggered them i would be alright?

(7bolt, ground, 7bolt, ground, 7bolt, ground)

Or am i completely overthinking this...

Thanks!!!

Just get the right bolts.

Grinding that much of the bolt will create heat that may lessen the hardening of the shaft of the bolt.

^^ I would think that anything dealing with something that rotates one would want to have the right parts. There was a thread not too long ago about a flywheel that had exploded. It ended up doing a lot if damage.

If you value your legs/life, please get the correct bolts. The last thing anyone would want to here is that the flywheel came loose and became a buzzsaw. Those things will eat right through your floor and into the interior. It would just be the safest thing to do. I have seen SBC's come loose and they will even tear up a scattershield.

Just want you to remain safe and see more of your posts, not trying to tell you to spend more money, we all know these things keep demanding more of it you know. :hellyeah:

I'm thinking out loud, wouldn't different weighted bolts throw the balance of your rotating assembly off? Idk it's probably not enough to make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ people cha ge whole clutch and flywheel assemblies and dont get the RA rebalanced.... I'm not positive on this, cause i didn't personally balance my motor, the machine shop did, but isnt it balanced without the flywheel?

I assume its because the clutches/flywheels/p'plates balanced from the factory so there is no need to. I could be wrong.

Im thinking out loud too. Just thinking, I would say the bolts would weigh close enough if ground down to not make a difference since they are so close to the center of the roatating mass, but the more important thing is safety for the driver. God forbid a bolt would loose some of its strength if the heat from grinding on it made the molecular structure change from for example a grade 10 to a grade 5. I don't know that it would but if you loose a flywheel because of a few weak bolts, all hell will break loose and its not pretty. It could possibly kill you or someone else as you cant get that energy stored in the flywheel to just go away. Think about it.

I assume its because the clutches/flywheels/p'plates balanced from the factory so there is no need to. I could be wrong.

They are close, but start putting the parts together and you get "Spec Stack"

Thats is where all the + or - tolerances come into play.

No part is ever dead nuts balanced, untill it is bolted together and spun up.

+2 on the way to properly shorten a bolt, put a nut on it, cut it off, round the tip a bit and back the nut off to clean the threads. Good advice, just don't do it on a flywheel bolt.

Seems like an entire flywheel coming off (because bolts broke) is even more dangerous than one shattering. When shattered you have smaller chunks with less energy flying around, where if entire thing comes of that would be alot of weight making it's way through parts of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back