The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rattling noise in engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfocus

Proven Member
Mar 28, 2014
Calgary, AB_Canada
Details on the car

Front Left Rack & Pinion boot is torn, (seal is fine)
Car sat for a whole year before i purchased been driving it for 3 weeks.
Clutch was apparently replaced before purchasing with another stock clutch.

I read on the forums that it could be the throwout bearing and others explaining it isn't the throwout bearing.

Basically when I start the car up for the first time or it's very cold, there's a loud rattling noise in the engine, it goes away when I press on the clutch pedal or when the engine is warmed up. Also the car grinds into second gear when the car is cold (if I shift into second slowly it doesn't grind).

If you are going to say clutch throwout bearing please explain why? Or if it isn't, then why.

I had heard some people say it isn't because the tob should only make noise when you press the clutch.

Rather than have everybody guess at it, try pulling the trans and have a look for yourself. It's inevitable if you want the problem fixed. I bet that whatever the noise is, you will find it by inspecting the TOB, clutch and shift fork.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back