The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2.3 with 60-62mm turbo. When do they start stripping 3rd & 4th gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkandoj

Probationary Member
Aug 12, 2008
Perth Western Australia, Australia
For my new motor I'm looking at a 2.3 with a 60-62mm turbo (choosing between t3; hta3585, 6262, hx40)
The problem I see most people running into is stripping 3rd or 4th from the torque.
For this reason I'm considering staying 2L and taking more lag.
A local guy stripped 4th on the dyno on 24psi on strait pump gas, is this typical?

Ill be running pump gas not E85, ~20psi daily drivenwith water/meth and ~25psi for the weekends.
At these power levels should I be concerned or is it more once people get over 30psi on E85 they are making too much torque.
Setup:
272's
cyclone intake manI (SMIM later)
intercooler and fuel systems up to it

Box:
4spider
HD selector forks
dsm 1st gear and shaft (stronger than gvr4)
rebuild box, new syncros

I have a 4 bolt and 3 spare transfer cases so I'm more concerned about the box

Making just under 500ft*lbs on a 2.0 with a HY35, mine strips them every 100 passes or so. I always run used parts so who knows how much abuse they have had. I also run the snot out of my car every day. Lots of launches, lots of passes. lots of dyno pulls.

Yeah all these stage X built trans run stock 3rd and 4th gears sometimes with double syncros machined on.to shift better but they aren't stronger.

I been through 4 trans due to shifter forks and stripping first. fixing this with steel forks I have or going jacks HD aluminum forks and dsm1st gear is stronger than gvr4. Welded or 4 spider centre. Now I'm back to3rd and 4th being the weak link....I want to do it right.

Jacks trans HD 3rd and 4th solve this problem but I don't live in America so can't ship my box in for a HD gear build :-(

So I'm stuck with stock 3rd and 4th.

I can slightly detune the torque in the lower revs say below 6k with less timing. So interested in what people get away with.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

To be clear ill be running 93 gasoline not E85 so will be making less torque.
So my question is before most people started running E85 were you still stripping 3rd and 4th with strokers?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back