The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starter Grind, flywheel/starter marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
SO my starter has been doing this for a year now, i replaced it last summer and it never did it before..

4 years ago, we replaced clutch and all that jazz, and the starter didn't do this, i replaced starter last summer because it ended up stop working and the new one ended up grinding for some reason..

Well; i got lazy, i admit it, i messed up. Anyway; now that we are past that part..
I have read all the articles on this and i found a few useful posts but i wanna hear your opinions on my issue..

The starter grinds on startup, it sounds like metal to metal, and i know for a FACT that it is contacting starter to the flywheel..

WHAT could cause this, and WHY?? Also, i saw there are different starters i should watch out for.. what should i stay away from? what should i use?

The car is a 1997 Eclipse GST FWD.

Attachments

• 10153889_10203343057914186_3699826472778056533_n-2.jpg
    10153889_10203343057914186_3699826472778056533_n-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 72
Are you using the correct starter and starter plate for your tranny and year? Some people who do swaps and conversions (perhaps a previous owner even) forget this. Also remember AWD and FWD have different size and #teeth flywheels.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...459007-bought-my-first-dsm.html#post153217957

For what i know, the starter is right.. i believe its still the stock tranny that came with the car when i bought it, i haven't swapped it out.. And i have a FWD flywheel.

Ended up being the starter was bad from the factory =)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back