The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

MASSIVE Boost Leak after Punishment Racing Intercooler and NGR BOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucid15

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I just got done installing the Punishment Racing SMIC hard piping kit, an NGR BOV, and throttle body gasket. I took it for a spin and immediately noticed a MASSIVE boost leak my AFR was around 8.2 under 3/4 throttle on my WB. Definitely felt the engine bucking and a huge boost leak. Didnt test it out any further, took it back to the garage and inspected everything but everything was in tact and tight, i adjusted the top nut on the BOV (just for shits) and got the same result.

I remember having troubles getting the UICP sitting right with the coupler going to the IC, and the elbow coupler to the TB elbow but those still seemed they were super tight and no leaks seemed likely.

My other thought

Any thoughts on where to check or what to do? I also have DSM link that i just got installed yesterday so im not sure if there is an easy way to find where the leak is coming from other than to do a proper BLT?

Last edited:
Sounds good, ill go grab the stuff from Home Depot in the morning. Is it ok to drive as long as i try to stay out of boost? I have to make it to my Easter destination tomorrow.

You should be fine travelling as long as you don't need to get on it at all. Honestly I would be suspicious of one of the couplers not being on all the way. I know that even when just doing my smic hard piping, it was a total p.i.t.a. to get them all on and in the right direction while also being past the bead on the piping. If you've ever heard of that goo for slipping bike or motorcycle tires on, you can take a tiny bit of it to slip the couplers on. Hopefully that blt shows you the issue.

To help get the couplers on good and straight. You can dip your finger in some oil and just run it around the lip of the pipes then slip the couplers on. Good luck!

If you really want to play "guess that leak", my first suspect would be the BOV flange. First hand experience with PR's FMIC kit. They don't true those flanges after welding because they don't actually make the kit itself. It's just rebranded ebay kit. My second suspect would be the TB flange. Same reason as above. Are you recirculating like a good boy? If not, my next guess would be the BOV.

Old timers trick. Spray your couplers with aquanet hairspray. They will seal. Just make sure you have your piping lined up right. The two pipes should be at the same angle meeting each other. Also make sure your clamps are over the beads on the pipe and your coupler is about 1 inch over. I always use 3 inch long couplers. Being you did a tb gasket. Did you install it in the right direction if not it will leak horribly

Last edited:
Old timers trick. Spray your couplers with aquanet hairspray. They will seal. Just make sure you have your piping lined up right. The two pipes should be at the same angle meeting each other. Also make sure your clamps are over the beads on the pipe and your coupler is about 1 inch over. I always use 3 inch long couplers. Being you did a tb gasket. Did you install it in the right direction if not it will leak horribly

Which way is the GAsket supposed to go? Yes i am recirculating properly. Ya my guess would be the BOV and/or TB, ill check everything over right now while doing my BLT. I got some Blue RTV i think im going to put on the BOV and TB.

Are you using the BOV supplied with that FMIC kit? If so, it is not an one of our NGR BOVs as our BOVs are not included in any FMIC kits.

+1 For BLT!

Everything is good to go now! I re-oriented a few clamps that were sitting weird and tightened everything down again, and also replaced the biss screw and O-ring. That seemed to do it. I am still going to assemble the blt and do a leak test for peace of mind.

And no I am using the authentic ngr bov ordered from
Their site

Good to hear! Hope you enjoy! Any questions with the BOV feel free to email us.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back