The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Aftermarket stereo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chet1185

Proven Member
Feb 15, 2014
trevorton, Pennsylvania
Do I need a special plug to install and aftermarket stereo or is it just a "normal" wire harness? The factory amp is gone.

The wire harness adapter will help make for a cleaner install but it's not 100% necessary. I always use the adapter harness vs hard wire. They are only about $15 at your local store and about half that if you order one online. If the factory amp is gone you should be able to use Metra 70-7001, but you might need the 70-7002 amp-bypass harness.

Yeah, i dont like cutting the factory harness apart so I def want the right connector. I will look into those harnesses, thanks.

I checked them out. I just don't know which one I need, LOL.

If someone knows which one so that I can just run an aftermarket stereo, i would appreciate it. I read that the front tweeters will no longer work. That's fine, probably won't even notice.

If it had the factory amp with your new wire harness adapter you would need to hook up your blue remote wire from your stereo to the amp wire from your car harness but since you don't have the amp any more should be plug and play with harness adapter.

+1. I have a metra adaptor in my 1g. Makes for plug and play like the rest of my goodies.:thumb:

how exactly does the metra70 7002 install?

if i csn just use the factory harness behind the stereo, how do i do that. if i dont have to buy the amp bypass wires i wont.

Color coding between the Metra and the aftermarket wire harness has pretty well been standardized to where you match wire for wire including the secondary color stripe. Solder the joins and cover with shrink tube for good insulation purposes.

Every install I've done on the infinity amp system, I've always bypassed the amp. Your radio has a built in amp that is more than able to output properly. If you do decide to run through the infinity amp, I would wire up rca and run from you radio amp preouts. This way you are not running an amplified signal through an amplifier.

What is not logical to most people, is that the factory radio plug, and the factory amp plug, are BOTH wired to the speakers. You get to choose which plug you want to use. The metra adapter the above posters are talking about simply takes the socket you have in the back of your new radio and plugs into the factory radio plug on the harness.

One metra adapter is for using only the factory radio plug; the other metra adapter is for using WITH the factory amp.

I've done installations both ways, and I prefer the sound of the separate (factory) amp because it is the only source wired to the dash tweeters. You'l find many threads on here about how to set up your audio, but sound is a very personal thing. You are doing the right thing by not hacking into the wiring so that all your changes are reversible if you don't like them.

I agree Dog, the only thing I would do differently is run the radio rca outputs to the amp since they are not amplified.

I would replace the factory amp with a after market amp. You can find the wire colors that run to the speakers on th12volt.com. Use the factory harness and run rcas to your amp. This will give you great sound quality. Alpine has a very small 4 channel amp that will fit in the cavity behind the radio.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back