The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

worth rebuilding small 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzi

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2014
Torrington, Connecticut
So I just figured out that I have a small 16g turbo, this car just keeps suprising me. Im pretty sure it needs a rebuild but this is my first turbo car. It spins freely but has a good amount of play front to back, and only slight side to side, no scraping and compressor wheel looks good. I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know if it boosts or not, I did have it running recently and there was no smoke and I could here it spool, also the I/C pipes are clean. Is it worth rebuilding and can this be run safely on the stock ecu/injectors? ('91 tsi 5spd)

cool, I found mhi rebuild kits for cheap. Basicly I just need to run this on the stock inj/ecu until I have everything for a big upgrade. So I don't want to waste cash on 2g maf and 550s for example, just trying to use whats there for now.

well turns out its shot. I pulled it out today and the turbine blades are chewed up like a rock was in there, is that normal wear? Makes me wonder if something went through the motor, the turbine housing also had a couple cracks. I think its just a 6cm anyway.

Turbine wheel has inducer damage, compressor wheel is likely damaged as well from the in/out play. Someone like me would consider this rebuildable, but the average guy may not want to put that much money into a Small 16G. Then again, once it's rebuilt with new wheels it'll basically be a new turbo...and where are you going to find a new 16G for the meager amount of money you'd invest in this one.

Is it OK to have a couple small cracks on the inside of the turbine housing? I see two very small cracks, they don't go through to the outside.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back