The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 97 GST Rapid clicking MPI relay and fuel cut-out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bl4ckWid0w

Probationary Member
Mar 15, 2014
Chama, New_Mexico
I already read the posts it brought up pertaining to this problem, none help or explain my problem.

To start had an EPROM ECU blow #C201 leaking all over C4 and Resistors R255 & R256 so I bought another EPROM (Both MD312464) and installed. After driving for a bit started getting rapid clicking coming from the MPI relay that runs the fuel pump, injectors and ECU. I bought brand new relays thinking it was that and installed and they still clicked and gave fuel cut-out while starting off in first from lights and stop signs.

Did some looking up and found it may be the fuel pump going out. Bought a Walbro 255 and installed just today and drove the car for a lil bit and it seemed alright. When I got back to the house and sat parked for a bit it idle surged for a couple hundred RPMs then the clicking started again. I read some of the posts and have not opened the other EPROM, some of them say it may be the ECU resetting the relay for the fuel pump because of a leaking CAP. I need to know if the CAP and Resistors I stated above work for anything to do with the MPI relays?

If not are there any Ideas what it may be? I've heard injectors, and I have 1200cc injectors waiting to be put in but I do not want to put them in till I have an EPROM fixed and set with ECMTuning and put my bigger turbo in and go for a Tune and Dyno.

Need some help, wanna get this beast going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just send it in to ECMtuning. it's only like 30 bucks, then 15 for ten minutes of repair work.

Thank you for the reply but, the ECU is not my problem.
The problem is the rapid clicking of the MPI relays which control the fuel system.
It was stated in the Title of the post and throughout it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back