The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

DSM link or just lucky?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fncrazy

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2012
maple shade, New_Jersey
OK so I have a 90 tsi awd with a 16g with a JDM six bolt...... Now my question is, is there a chance I have dsmlink? I just bought it and the guy I bought it off of said the ecu was sent out for a rebuilt. Side note I'm too lazy to pull the ecu LOL. The reason I ask this is cause the I installed wb gauge and all my numbers are great even a little rich in boost and 1st I'm around like ten to 12 psi but second gear is like 15 and third is 18. That reading is with a Digital Boost gauge made by glow shift. Thanks . one other thing I see no manual boost controller. And I see on here a lot you can't boost that high without a tune.

Absolutely no way to know without pulling the ECU out and checking. Sorry. :( You could have an old Keydiver chip or other chip-based tune in the ECU. Again though, only way to know for sure is to pull the ECU.

Sounds like you're running straight wastegate pressure, meaning the vacuum line is running directly from the turbo to the wastegate, and controlling boost that way.

Wideband readings are not an indicator of link...in closed loop, your o2 sensor will cycle to hit stoich (14.7:1 for gas) and your open loop is rich, what injectors are you running? Gotta pull the ecu and check it out...just do it, it's easy.

Stock injectors...... And the waste gate is routed to the j pipe if I rember correctly and thanks guys...... I guess I just have to pull the ecu. What I said about the reading is cause I figure with that much boost I would run lean and was to my surprise it was a little rich

So because the car is running good on stock injectors with decent a/f ratios you are asking if it has dsmlink? What about this would make you think that the car has dsmlink. The engine from the factory runs perfectly fine with rather ideal a/f ratio's. Why wouldn't it?

...the guy I bought it off of said the ecu was sent out for a rebuilt..

It probably means just that, that it was rebuilt. When I pulled my ECU out of my 1990 for the first time I found that it had been rebuilt in 2007. It was super clean. Here's some pics of mine before I sent it off to ECMLink:

attachment.php

attachment.php

What are your wideband readings in boost? In the 10:1 range?

Higher boost won't automatically change your AFR. The ECU tries to maintain a target AFR so any extra airflow is just compensated with more fuel. Once the injectors are maxed out and can't maintain the target AFR anymore, the ECU assumes a problem and cuts off fuel (aka fuel cut).

But even if your not hitting fuel cut, I bet your IDC's are reaching very unsafe levels in an attempt to compensate. The boost creep issue should be fixed asap.

LOL @ JDM 6 bolt..

Can't blame him, he was probably told it was JDM, kids like to throw that term around like candy.

Check out Mighty Car Mods, they call everything JDM LOL

JDM Undies at 2:30

Awesome Intercooler instrument at 2:15

[ame=http://youtu.be/A2Po7fMbO_A]How To Upgrade Your Turbo - YouTube[/ame]

I love this show, it's so awesome.

So I opened it up and it does have dsmlink thanks... Well for nothing. Wise men= wise asses

It probably means just that, that it was rebuilt. When I pulled my ECU out of my 1990 for the first time I found that it had been rebuilt in 2007. It was super clean. Here's some pics of mine before I sent it off to ECMLink:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for this

Yea I was told that it was put in years ago and had the receipt From JDM motors to prove it

That's an eprom ecu. You can socket it and buy link if you want. But looks stock to me.

Edit
Nm, I see that was a quote.
Did you get the software from him? Post some pictures of your find.

Last edited:
Do you mean that it is an eprom, or that it actually has an ecmtuning chip in it? What does it say on the chip?

Side note I'm too lazy to pull the ecu LOL.

Don't get upset at us for asking questions in this manner if your not willing to help us help you.
It takes 5 minutes to remove the ECU, much less time then it took for you to write this thread. ;)

Not saying you are, but it's frustrating helping someone that doesn't want to help us.

I hear you just was wondering LOL and as for the cable no I don't have one now off to find one and sell my EPROM 93 laser fwd ecu. Its a great day

That is only for v3. I'd be willing to bet that he has an older version due to the fact that someone sold him the car without mentioning it and without a cable. They don't sell the earlier cables because it is so easy to copy the chip on those.

On a 1G, you can use that cable with V2 or V3.

I am glad to hear it has dsm link. Get the cable and you will love it. Sometimes you are going to get smart comments. Just ignore it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back