The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Inexpensive clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isnt

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2013
San Diego, California
Could not find where to buy one. Act bit expensive for me, was looking at an exedy stage 1/stage 2 because I want to up my 6 bolts hp too 300-350hp. But the only one I found was a clutch for a 90-99 awd/fwd and i know 7 bolts are different clutches so, any suggestions.

Have you looked at the vendors and inexpensive could be a broken car down the road, first get your budget and look around, gotta pay to play in some cases spend the money once and don't look back.

Have you looked at the vendors and inexpensive could be a broken car down the road, first get your budget and look around, gotta pay to play in some cases spend the money once and don't look back.

Yeah I have. I'm thinking 300-350 not 550 for act

and i know 7 bolts are different clutches so, any suggestions.
Clutch is the same for FWD/AWD, 6-bolt/7-bolt as long as we're talking 4G63 turbo. The difference is in the FLYWHEEL, not the clutch. Just so you know.

I had an XTD Stage 4 with a Fidanza flywheel I got on ebay for about $320 in my old GST, my GST dyno'd at 321whp and the clutch held just fine, I put about 40k on the clutch at that power level and when the engine gave up and had to come out the clutch was holding fine, but It wasn't looking good but after 3 years and lots of abuse what can ya expect? I just picked up another XTD clutch for my GSX and am still breaking it in, only paid about 260 But came with XTD's flywheel instead of a fidanza which i was skeptical about but so far shes doing good, make sure you use an OEM throw out bearing
the only thing about these clutches is they can chatter and aren't intended for street use because of the lack of dampening like the springs in the hub of the disc. but I haven't seen any chatter with this setup in my GSX but my GST's would chatter if you would slip it too long at too low of an RPM.

XTD Stage 4 Clutch Flywheel Kit 93 99 Eclipse Talon AWD GSX 1700 Series | eBay

Tty clutchnet ive been using their stage 3 clutch now for 20k miles with no slipping or harsh engagment making 541whp. I broke my spec, and act before throwing springs out.

I used a XTD stage 3 clutch on my past two cars, (SR20 240sx and current GST). Both cars run in the 300hp range and never slipped once. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecfccfdb1&vxp=mtr

As stated earlier, all clutches work on any 6 or 7 bolt 4g63.

When I did the clutch, I also bought a used Fidanza flywheel for $75, and bought the replacement disk for it ($45 from MAP).

Bought a OEM throw out bearing. Never use the cheap TOB in the ebay kits!

All together I have about $240 in my entire setup and I couldn't be happier. :thumb:

P.S. You wont find a cheaper AND more reliable clutch setup than this. New of course.

Are you looking for a clutch "kit" or just the disc? Exedys are ok I have a southbend and it uses an Exedy center section

Taken from past experiences, I wouldn't reuse the same PP on a clutch when the disk needs to be changed. :)

Running a competition clutch 1620 sprung 6 puck over here. Couldn't be happier... except for the occasion studder in first while doing city driving, which I've read is common on 4&6 puck clutches.

Paid $355 for it and its had great reviews, most reviews are better than act with the same specs or torque rating. I am pretty sure mine is rated to like 450lb/tq.

I would stay away from XTD clutches. Had one rated to like 500hp and lasted like a week if that on and an rb25 with 400whp and would be chattering before it even built boost. Clutches are one of those things ive learned the hard way not to go cheap

I would stay away from XTD clutches. Had one rated to like 500hp and lasted like a week if that on and an rb25 with 400whp and would be chattering before it even built boost. Clutches are one of those things ive learned the hard way not to go cheap

I have the exact same story on my 240Z rb with 400whp:hellyeah:.
I would not recommend XTD it seems like its a crap shoot if you get a good or bad clutch.:notgood:

Well I have had no problems with XTD clutches but then again I don't have an RB in my car :p Lots of people have had good luck with the XTD kits in DSM's and thats what I'll keep using until I make too much power for an XTD to hold. Just search around and see what people at your desired power level are using and find the cheapest option you can stomach. Good Luck!

I have the exact same story on my 240Z rb with 400whp:hellyeah:.
I would not recommend XTD it seems like its a crap shoot if you get a good or bad clutch.:notgood:

Had a xtd with the sprung 6puck disk. Springs fell out of it when i was out of town and left me stranded causing damage to my transmission. Thing chatterd the whole time i used it I would avoid. Wouldn't you think the pads would wear out before it falls apart in your bell housing? had about 5k on it and a few track passes. This was in an awd dsm at around 350 hp.

That being said i would recommend picking up a clutch masters/act
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/dsm-clutch-selection
What's your budget? It IS the only way we can really help you find something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my xtd clutch after about 3 months of daily driving and a few tuning runs:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dang that sucks. I guess they are hit and miss. 99% of the time with any product you only hear the horror stories though. People don't always start a thread saying their XTD has been fine, but if it breaks we will hear about it. :D

I unfortunately had the same thing happen with my stage 4 xtd at power levels just shy of 500hp. This was only a few weeks after I purchased it. I also have an xtd stage 4 on my daily that has been great for 2+ years. Definitely a hit or a miss.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back