The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

GST or GSX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo Dynamics

Probationary Member
Oct 15, 2013
shelby township, Michigan
So basically I've been looking for a GSX and haven't had much luck finding one, and what I'm getting at is there is a GST and I was considering just settling for fwd.

My question is why do some people by a GST for time attack instead of a GSX?:confused:

Cheaper to buy , less weight, less things to break.. for racing I like to go light and if you notice a lot of records are owned by fwd'rs now... once you figure out the traction problems your good

and only one guy is running time attack with a fwd

Considering you live in Michigan (snow) AND the fact that you want a GSX, I wouldn't just settle for the GST. Ive had both (the AWD was a 2009 Ralliart) and they both are very fun cars. Many people hate on our FWD cars because of traction, but if your only goals are drag/racing, then yes MOST AWD cars perform better.

It really depends on what your long term goals are for the car and what you truly want. Both cars can be made fast and fun. :thumb:

Considering you live in Michigan (snow) AND the fact that you want a GSX, I wouldn't just settle for the GST. Ive had both (the AWD was a 2009 Ralliart) and they both are very fun cars. Many people hate on our FWD cars because of traction, but if your only goals are drag/racing, then yes MOST AWD cars perform better.

It really depends on what your long term goals are for the car and what you truly want. Both cars can be made fast and fun. :thumb:

^^^ +1

Think about

#1 Your goals and whats important.

#2 The reality of reaching your goals financially along with your other future plans.

From MY experience of having both. Had a GSX when i was younger and cared a lot about my track time, but as the years went by, I got tired of fixing the car and track time was slim, so it sat more than it was driving. Loved my GSX but an AWD launch is a harsh process.. shit is gonna break.. Some times fairly often

Have loved these cars since the first day i got my license, so Ive had a GST for a years now. Mostly based around my personal enjoyment of the car, cruising, highway runs, pop in on an auto cross or road course once in a while. GST is no slouch... Some GST owners, far better than I, know their car well enough to talk away that AWD advantage and then continue to walk away on the top end, but stress that IT AINT EASY. Being the better driver will always be the best upgrade for your car.

If youre hell bent on track times, are mechanically confident, and a few stacks stashed away, then DONT settle. If youre looking to just have fun with it on the top end, really like the car, and can live without being the fastest thing from a stop, then take the GST.

thanks for all your replies and yes I do want a GSX because of traction and living north, we just had 70 degree 2 days ago and it just snowed last night... guess I'll have to keep looking because I know i would eventually get tired of fwd and want to swap it. :D Also I do wan't to be beating all these chargers, mustangs, camaros etc... from a dig. Do you guys know what the most common part that is broken from launching the gsx

I got a 97 gsx i havent driven in 2 years car is still sharp 114000 on it automatic tranny ordered by first buyer so many people offer me $$$$$$ for her.
I know of a couple around the Boston area.
My talon is fwd i absolutly love it

You're gonna get a lot of different answers in the fwd vs awd debate but if you're having a hard time finding dsm's in Michigan, you should check out xceedspeed.com as there are almost always a handful of awd and fwd's for sale in their classifieds.

Example: XceedSpeed

I've bought many things b/c I've hAd the urge or whatever reason I could come up with to convince myself most of the time it was a let down in the end parts, cars,tools etc... My advice just get what you really want don't settle it'll be worth wait

thanks guys and yeah I have been looking at craigslist in several states as well as XceedSpeed but someone kindly told me they are planning on selling there GSX so we will see how this turns out, appreciate all the help!:thumb:

If you buy a GST you will always want a GSX. This is my experience anyways, save your time + money and do it right the first time.

Ive had a few fwd but now awd and in the snow i love it and more on the street especially when i have goals of doing more street driving, and putting power to the ground awd now and wont go back to fwd.

I have always wanted a gsx. They rip from a stop. If only though, I have been searching for a decent one for the right price. It's hard to find a decent one for the right price LOL

another good "search engine" is searchtempest.com SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.

You can search all of craigslist at once and you can also narrow it down by searching: just your state, miles from your zip code, ect...

my city has slim pickens too but I found my talon using this site and it was only a few hundred miles away. Just wait for what you really want. I searched that site daily till I found a deal

good luck, hope you find one!

Depends on what you want. I've got both and while the FWD is a fun little bastard for daily use..I would hate to try to make power on it. On a basic 16G setup at wastegate pressure and evo maps, it spins its ass off. I do prefer the AWD for a number of reasons already covered.

I'd say get both. Eff it. :p

I have a GSX and I'll never EVER buy a FWD again. It tracks perfectly straight, my 60 foot times are amazing and it's fun to kick her big ass sideways in the rain. wait for a GSX. Settling sshould never be an option.

+1

I have a GSX and I'll never EVER buy a FWD again. It tracks perfectly straight, my 60 foot times are amazing and it's fun to kick her big ass sideways in the rain. wait for a GSX. Settling sshould never be an option.

+1

Going from a GST to a GSX was the biggest difference not only in the Michigan winter but just in daily driving fun. Theres a thread on here of the reactions of guys that did the AWD swap that helped me make the decision to go awd. Just be patient and search in a possibly wider radius.

So you guys would buy a hard to find gsx then use it as a winter beater? You could get a old toyota/subaru for the winter and a gst for the price of a gsx... just my .02

So basically I've been looking for a GSX and haven't had much luck finding one, and what I'm getting at is there is a GST and I was considering just settling for fwd.

My question is why do some people by a GST for time attack instead of a GSX?:confused:

Hey buddy, its nothing wrong with FWDs. Just think of it as something to master, plus you can always upgrade to AWD. Here on tuners we have all the answers to questions involving a conversion if you plan on it in the future. Im not saying go and buy it off the bat, I'm saying if its worthy enough then go for it. :thumb:

So you guys would buy a hard to find gsx then use it as a winter beater? You could get a old toyota/subaru for the winter and a gst for the price of a gsx... just my .02

Depends on your area...where I've lived it's never been hard to find a GSX. My TSI AWD fell into my lap for ridiculously cheap. My GSX before this was /given/ to me, the one before that I paid $500 for...etc. With proper care and careful steps to get rid of salt and buildup under the chassis, there's no worries about rust from salt. Not to mention there's little more fun you can have driving a car, than driving a DSM with snow tires in the snow or any kind of bad weather. Not to mention it's a whole less of a headache. I'm not out to prove myself with my awesome driving ability by herding cats trying to get traction out of a FWD setup...I want to get in my DSM and know that no matter what weather or conditions are like I can drive safely, and have a little fun in a safe manner as well. :p ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back