The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G leaking antifreeze

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmkid2

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
haverhill, Massachusetts
Hi my car is leaking small drops of antifreeze right under the thermostat area does anyone know how to fix it or what part i need?

Pinpoint where it's coming from. Hose, o ring, gasket or it could be where it mounts to the block. It just takes rtv.

Attachments

• 2G_CoolantLines-1.jpg
    2G_CoolantLines-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 277
Exactly when did it happen? If it happened right after a turbo install the turbo may have hit against the water pipe damaging the o-ring inside. That is what happened when I installed my 20g.

My last coolant leak was the water neck o-ring that plugs into the t-stat housing. This o-ring is a PITA to come by but NAPA can order you a Felpro replacement. Check the general area to determine where the leak is coming from first as this will most likely help us help you pinpoint the problem. Pictures are a plus also!!

Use the diagram and tell us some numbers where you think it is, we can tell you the most likely suspect.

Number 7 thats the one its gotta be it

Looks like the o ring is the issue i might silicone it to give better sealing all my friends say its the o ring

You might be able to get lucky and unbolt the water pipe (side closer to the t-stat housing) and get the o-ring out. Be care with that water pipe though, the other side is prone to leak also.

Well this explains why my coolant would run out in days oh and i know this is off topic but i made a thread a couple days ago about fog light fitment but nobody helped me. I have a slowboy racing fmic its pretty wide i wanted to know if my fog lights will still fit i havent put the intercooler in yet

This is whre the leak is coming from you can see the driplets if you look closely ignore the black stuff its silicone

Attachments

• 20140423_183921.jpg
    20140423_183921.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 91
Yep, bad o-ring. But, if you're removing the t-stat housing to replace it, you might as well replace all the other seal/gaskets in the area so that they are all good. Nothing like replacing only one, just to find another leaking as well.

Hi my car is leaking small drops of antifreeze right under the thermostat area does anyone know how to fix it or what part i need?

Check to make sure the clamps are tightened as well as hose condition. If its ballooning, or swelling up you need to replace it before it pops right off

I wish I had a tutorial on how to to replace the o ring
Grab a drain pan, removing the coolant lines. If you have long route intercooler piping the piping to the throttle body may get in your way. All the bolts are 12mm .After removing the 6 and 2 hoses from the exploded diagram . Remove the upper water pipe to radiator housing 2 bolts. Once the upper housing is removed .Remove lower housing thermostat cover place thermostat somewhere safe!!!!. 2g thermostat housing has three bolts to the block . Pay attention when you remove them , the bolts do not have threads the entire length and three different lengths. After all 7 bolts have been removed make sure all the hoses are gone as well.since the O ring is trashed the Thermostat housing will come off easier than if when the O ring is still good. Dry the area clean it! discard the bad oring. Sealant the water pipe and begin reassembly any where there is a mate betweeen two pieces Sealant let it cure 2-3 hours i know over kill. However the process is long and tedious who wants to do it again ?BestOf luck !

Thanks man and im still on the stock smic havent put in the sbr intercooler yet how long you think this will take

:hellyeah:
Thanks man and im still on the stock smic havent put in the sbr intercooler yet how long you think this will take
The stock intercooler piping may interfere because I used a half inch drive with an extension . With the right tools and good weather conditions or a well light garage no more that 2 hours, maybe a bit more or less the thermostat housing was a pain in the butt to pull from the water pipe. Just make sure when your pulling it apart its not caught on the pipe only the rubber gasket it should visilbly appear to clear the block and piping . No problem Glad I could help

Check the pipe for rust holes where the o ring goes. It is very common for them to rust there and that could explain the rtv.

Its wierd when im driving the temperature will spike up a quarter near the h mark then randomly drop to the middle? Then go back up again the thermostat is brand new you think its a bad relay maybe sensor or something

Its wierd when im driving the temperature will spike up a quarter near the h mark then randomly drop to the middle? Then go back up again the thermostat is brand new you think its a bad relay maybe sensor or something

Did you fix the leak yet?

No not yet haven't had the time hopefully this week do you tbink heat soak can play a part? Im still on stock intercooler with big 16g

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back