The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a still not starting..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primecut4ya

Proven Member
Aug 8, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Okay egr delete, new cam sensor, crank sensor, coil, ecu..I have spark and fuel but nothing..about every 15th time it will pop like it wants to start but won't..

No way to get codes last owner deleted obd connector..don't think it's compression..last time I got it to run, it ran real rough that's why I replaced crank sensor which wa cracked and coil tested bad on meter..

Also wires test within specs..

Will check tomorrow..Anything else? Voltage regulator?

Found that I have no pressure in the fuel rail when I pressed in the check valve..looking like aftermarket regulator is way cheaper then OEM..

are you sure you are getting fuel? do you hear the pump run when you turn the key to on?
I had a problem with my 98GS that sound a lot like this

I had the same exact problem. I thought it was timing, (after checking fuel and spark) so I poped the upper timing cover off and uses a 1/2 ratchet to line up the cam gears. My exhaust cam jumped 4 teeth (tensioner gave out). Did a complete timing belt change and was good to go. I got real lucky I didnt bend any valves. :coy:

Give it a check. Never know.

Edit: Didnt notice 420a. Not sure how to line up timing on that engine. But still worth checking.

I have never been able to hear the pump kick in even with the back seat out, might be able to hear it at the filler tube? Had gas in the plugs and rail when I pulled the feed back line, but like I said no pressure at the check valve on the rail. It seem to jump about every 15th time trying to start it like it's building up pressure. Don't believe it is timing since this starting issue began over about a week until it just wont start anymore. I have always had to pump the pedal to start on a hot start, only after a few hours would it start off just the key..compression??? would have to be bad in all four not to even start..

How do I bypass the stock fpr? my 95 has it on the fuel rail with the return on the drivers side of the rail..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back