The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Dash lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chet1185

Proven Member
Feb 15, 2014
trevorton, Pennsylvania
Gauge and hvac lights aren't working. There is no stereo installed, read that there's a dimmer switch wire somewhere near the stereo? I don't know what to look at first. The taillights work. Their on the same fuse, correct?

Any input is appreciated.

Is there a way to test the dimmer switch? My girl is freaking out about the dash lights not working because this car has had so many problems. So I'm just trying to get everything figured out.

Just found this info:

When you pull out the dimmer switch, Check for the following;

Power on the G-W wire that goes to the switch

Ground on the B wire

Check the above wires with a halogen headlamp bulb (ran in series). The higher amperage bulb will ensure these circuits can carry the current neccisary for the dimmer operation.

If those check out ok;

plug the switch back in, connect a test lamp to a known good power souce (connect the alligator clip side to power. Next, back-probe the B-Y wire while the connector is plugged into the dimmer switch (with the needle end). Turn the knob of the dimmer, and see if the test lamp dims/gets brighter while using the knob. If it does not; dimmer switch replacement time.

If it does work; you can try jumping the B-Y wire in the connector to a good ground using a fused jumper wire. If the lights on the dash still don't illuminate; You have a possible open circuit somewhere.

with the switch plugged in, I ran a jumper from the black/yellow to a ground. lights cam on full brightness. What does this mean?

So, i can leave a wire ran to ground it?

Another thing, i notice he says about a viper alarm installed, will that affect anything? I believe there is one installed that i want to remove. Is this one?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The last pic is of something ran from that black box and was laying on top the dash.

There are wires spliced in everywhere from this thing.

I removed the alarm. Also ran a fused wire from the black/yellow wire at the dimmer to a good ground. If I leave it this way, what size fuse should I use?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back