The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Radiatior fans not turning on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First, get 2 jumper wires and attach them to the positive and negative terminals on the fan connector. Then take the other sides of the jumper leads and connect the positive to a battery, and touch the negative to the negative post. If the fan kicks on, your fan is fine. I don't believe your fans are bad. Have you done any recent work involving the coolant system? If so, make sure the system was properly burped. If your ECT sensor is bad, that too can keep your fans from kicking on. Likewise, a bad thermostat can have a similar affect. So you have a few possibilities to check out.

There are fan relays, but don't think there's a fuse.

Last edited:
I replaced the temp sensor and tested the fans. All works well. I replaced some relays to see if that fixes the problem. I'm also changing the other temp sensor tonight.

*both fans work if I connect them to the battery. They still don't work on their own

If you are certain your engine reached operating temperature before you unplugged the cts, than it is possible there is a short in the connection somewhere.

If you have a way to have your radiator cap pressure tested, do it. A few months ago when I swapped my aluminum rad back in, my fans wouldn't turn on after allowing it to burp for 45 minutes. I put the cap on afterward and still no fans. Tested the cap and it wouldn't even hold 1psi. Bought a new one following that and ran the car. maybe 5 minutes later the fans turned on. Thus showing me how much a cap will affect the cooling system with age.

I would also de-pin the connector and check the wires and pins for corrosion and damage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back