The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

welded center dif or 4 spider?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black97spyder

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2012
independence, Kansas
Hey guys I know this has been covered several times but each persons situation varies. Im getting ready to send my auto trans off to metro transmission and they are wanting to weld my center dif. Id like to know the pro's and cons of a welded center dif and for a 4 spider so I can weigh my options.

So I have a couple questions, first, how much weaker is a 4 spider over getting the center dif welded?? I will be DDing the car and abusing it with around 700awhp every day and while the trans is being built id rather it be over-built and be able to take way more abuse than I can throw at it, so im not sure if a 4 spider would be for me... Second, how much gained traction have you guys gotten off a welded center dif or 4 spider upgrade?? I know with a welded center dif it is hard to make sharp turns but don't know much about other pro's or cons

Thanks guys!!

If you are serious about 700awhp, then there is no question here. You are going to have to get it welded as 600hp is the max for the 4-spider.

If they reuse the stock cross shaft, it won't be much stronger than the factory diff. Also, if you drag race the strongest 4 spider diff won't help you 60ft any faster than the stocker, it just won't break as easy.

I have a welded center diff on my DD and it took me maybe 3 days to get used to...i can do U-turns with no problem and take sharp turns with ease. A down side is it will chew up the outside of your tires.

Thanks soccerguy!! Thats the overall answer I was looking for :thumb: just will have to deal with the 8 point turns and 3 point parking haha LOL.

Thanks donniekak! I didnt know if the 4 spider would help my 60' times out at all, will the welded center dif net me better '60 times and better traction?

Awd-laser - thats great to hear! Maybe It wont be as bad as what ive heard it is :thumb: guess I will find out LOL

Naw Its really nice for launches, Once i learned how to launch on my 2600 she was a rocket out of the hole. I think you will love it.

Great!! The car was already getting 1.77 - 60' times on street tires so that makes me curious to find out how much it will help LOL... do you guys still have p/s with your welded center dif or have u guys deleted your p/s??

I was wondering how hard it would be to turn with a welded center dif and no p/s (was thinking about deleting my p/s, in fact everything is completely taken off the car that has anything to do with the p/s other than the main lines that come from the rack)

And I haven't had a problem spinning the back tires when getting up on the converter and I have brand new brakes with hawks pads to go all the way around so those new goodies should keep that from happen :thumb:

Bastard- mark at metro trans said he could do a 4 spider for my auto but said he has still seen them break. Im more worried about the trans breaking or slipping, over me breaking a driveline part... what axles would u break on your car?

And plus I have a F.F. auto tcase brace, rear dif cover and 950hp DSS driveshaft to help keep things from breaking :thumb: LOL. And if the tcase still breaks then ill get it built next LOL but dont see that happening soon because auto's are alot less likely to break driveline parts :) (DSS rear axles and and built tcase will be coming next, its just a matter of money at the moment)

700awhp in a DD through the auto is a little far fetched considering the auto eats HP readings for dinner. You are going to have to run a huge turbo, a strong built motor, and a built trans/converter to show 700whp with an auto. Those are big boys numbers there and definitely not DD typical.

There is no question about the welded diff. Weld it at those power levels.

Alright I will def weld it then!!

Im aware of hp that the auto's rob but the right converter makes all thr difference. And im fully aware i probly wont reach 700awhp with the turbo im running but should still net a great 9 second e.t.. As for built motor, trans, converter and everything else, that has all been taken care of and taken into consideration every step of the way... since I want it for a DD I absolutely have to have the drivetrain built to keep it together for more than a weekend at the power levels im wanting LOL.

And thanks for your guy's input on what you think about driving a DD with a welded center dif and no p/s. Lol hope I can handle it, if not ill just slap a new pump on the car if I get tired of no p/s haha

Heres my input and what I'll be doing, granted I'm manual.

Ive got a 4 spider. I love it. If it breaks. I'll weld it together LOL

Judging from the trap speed goals i have this year i should be around 700 if i hit them with a 4 spider.

I have a 4x4 truck and can't make hard turns cause the drive shaft binds up. I'd hate that on my dsm, granted I'm mostly drag car. It still bugs me.

Yeah ive been thinking about the turning situation and it will suck but I def don't want to break the trans so it will be something ill have to live with... if I don't like it then ill add p/s back to the car and that should help alot

I had a 95 gsx, and I welded the stock center diff. The car was fine when driving around on the street. However, when parking or making sharp turns, or backing up and turning sharp I could hear the tires digging into the pavement. I'm sure it was putting extra un-needed strain on the transmission. I would recommend getting the spider gear set up, and not welding.

I had a 95 gsx, and I welded the stock center diff. The car was fine when driving around on the street. However, when parking or making sharp turns, or backing up and turning sharp I could hear the tires digging into the pavement. I'm sure it was putting extra un-needed strain on the transmission. I would recommend getting the spider gear set up, and not welding.

It was not putting extra strain on the transmission. It was, however, diverting the strain to every other drive train component, such as cv joints, tires, tie rod ends, balljoints, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back