The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g63 header on 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97egl

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2014
Brownsburg, Indiana
So to start off with I did do some research on this but couldn't find any specific measuments or a real answer. And I am NOT asking if a 4g63 manifold will bolt to a 420a, I know it won't.

So I am looking to see if someone can tell me the overall spacing on the exhaust ports of a 4g63. Or if someone can get me a side by side pic of an 4g63 manifold and a 420a manifold.

What I am wanting to do is buy a 4g63 manifold and a 420a manifold flange. Then cut the flange for the 4g63 off the manifold and weld the flange to it for the 420a.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know many of you are thinking why go through all that work they already make turbo manifolds for the 420.

The reason I am wanting to build my own is because I want a tubular "header" type manifold for looks and performance. Also the manifold will already come with the TD05 flange which is hard to find, usually the 420a turbo manifolds come with the t3 flange.

Thanks for any help.

I dont see how it would be a problem if you had both in the same material. I'd weld it myself...

420a

4g63

Well if you have a local performance shop with a welder, they can make you a tubular manifold as long as you give them the specs you want and tell them what flanges you need on each side. I know this isn't the exact info you're looking for, but it is a viable alternative.

Myself or anyone else could give you bolt spacing and the like, but it would doubtless be much easier to just grab a 4g63 ex mani gasket. They aren't expensive.

If I were you I would stay away from those ebay manifolds. If your going to use a 4g63 manifold with your 420a flange at least get a quality manifold. Trust me when I say its a waste of a good 420a flange. I would do what spyderdrifter said and go to a muffler shop and get something made.

If you're speaking in terms of "performance" like you said..... a t3/t4 manifold and turbo flows more air than a mitsu flanged manifold and turbo.

What's wrong with the manifolds already made? That give you clearance for a larger turbo and plenty of flow.... is it because they don't "look" like a performance manifold?

Have one built or buy a diy kit from a vendor. Dont waste your money on the ebay manifold, they are already weak and I'm sure hacking it up would make it more so.

PLUS, this is the biggie here... by the time you cut the flange off the 4g63 manifold and shape the pipes to go inside the 420a flange, you have effectively shortened the manifold in relation to clearance for the studs and bolts. You'd never get it on the car. I had to remove two studs and grind them down 1/4" just to get the nuts on them on the 2 and 3 runners.

If youre insistent on using a mitsu flanged turbo, have one made, or get the ebay spacer from t3 to mitsu... its normally run the other way, but its not a directional part by any means.

Maybe I'v misunderstood td05 and t3 but isn't it the same thing? Obx isn't the best but they do offer a lifetime warranty on cracks or defects nowadays.

Guess I learned something new today. But like breezio said just got an adapter! It's way better then doing what you're talking about. Here's a link for an eBay adapter but I'm sure you can find a better one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110768837963?lpid=82

Alright. Thanks for all your input. I'll probably have a shop weld one up for me then. I didn't know the ebay manifolds where so bad. What happens to them? do they rust thru or melt/crack under the high heat?

OBX is a good deal with the warranty but i doubt they'ed warranty one that's been hacked off and put on a different flange

Alright. Thanks for all your input. I'll probably have a shop weld one up for me then. I didn't know the ebay manifolds where so bad. What happens to them? do they rust thru or melt/crack under the high heat?

OBX is a good deal with the warranty but i doubt they'ed warranty one that's been hacked off and put on a different flange

Why would you not just buy the obx 420a turbo header or a cast log manifold that is meant for your car. The 4g63 manifold with a 420a flange could very well have clearance issues than you are out 220 bucks and you are buying a different header.

The Hahn turbos are a tdo5 turbo but with a custom t3 flanged turbine housing.

The cast log manifold is the best option, its short route, t3/t4, will give you clearance for a bunch of different turbo sizes so you wont have to swap stuff around in the engine bay. Plus its cast, very durable and you probably won't have any troubles with it for the life of the car.

Keep in mind, if you have a shop make you a manifold you will be looking at easily over $700, probably closer to a grand. So that throws the "budget" minded concept of this right out the window. In fact, in my looking at diy or pieced together manifolds to weld on my own, just the collector, bends and flange were around $400. Plus time mocking up, cutting, recutting, final welding... at a super low ball rate of $50/hr I'd say it takes over 10 hours... do the math, and I'd be surprised if a welder or a shop would take it on at a lesser rate, most shops around here are $85/hr labor no matter what the work is.

My opinion, buy the log manifold and run a better flowing turbo than a 16g or any other mhi turbo.

I got my ebay manifold in the mail and sent it right back. The one runner hit a stud so you couldnt even start the nut on it. There were pin holes in the welds on the collector and the ports were smaller than stock.

Is anyone on this thread running/have run one of those ebay cast log manifolds? They are pretty cheap. I want a treadstone but if one of these ebay ones work then I might do that until I get my set up complete. Or if anyone has any good recomendations for aftermarket bolt on manifolds that would be great too.

Xtreme Fabrications DSM 420A ProRace Tubular Turbo Manifold [XF-420A-EM-R01] - $1,499.95 : XTREME Fabrications, Performance Services

Here's the one I bought he has a few different types of manifolds your looking for.

I have a Treadstone log manifold I would be willing to part with if your interested. its seen the light of day once which was the day it arrived. I decided to go with this one in my link instead so the log manifold will prob be posted at some point for sale when I get around to it. Took a month for Treadstone to send out my kit, their a bit slow but seemed like good people.

275.57 and shipping to cover what I spent if anyone's interested.
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=198&cat_key=52&prodname=420A+Turbo+Manifold

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back