The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

wideband install problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeaton9292

Proven Member
Aug 29, 2013
Sterling heights, Michigan
so i started to put in my wideband today (ngk powerdex afx) and now my car wont start i have link v3 full and was gonna do a narrowband simulation and i put the wideband sensor into the front o2 spot on ther o2 housing so i put my 2 grounds to the same spot as my grounds for my other gauges and i put the hot to the hot for my other gauges off the radio fuse and when i try to start the car the wideband gauge shows 1u35 or 1435 im unsure if maybe a light is out in the box but anyway i dont know what that means and i tryed do a calibration and i cant because of that code or whatever that may be

also i have a yellow wire and a brown wire coming off the plug that goes into the gauge im not sure what to do with them i know they are for analog is what the website for the wideband said but that doesnt help me this is my first build and have never installed one

please help i need this car running asap

Let's take this one step at a time.

The wideband is best used in addition to the factory O2 sensor. I am aware that some dsmers are running it in place of, but the factory O2 is great for telling the ecu whether to go into closed loop or not.

Your wideband sensor will not last as long in the O2 housing. The heat will shorten its life. If you're okay with that, leave it there.

The ecu cannot understand the wideband sensor inputs like the factory O2 inputs. Your gauge is also a translator, so you have to feed the wideband signal into the gauge and let it convert the wideband signals into voltages that the ecu can understand, and connect the output wire from the gauge to go into the ecu.

If the wideband sensor was in the rear O2 location, with a standard O2 in the front location, at least the car would start and run, and then would use the input from the rear-mounted wideband for additional tuning.

I don't have access to my car right now to discuss wire colors with you, but I hope this is helpful in your decision on where to mount the wideband sensor.

Let's take this one step at a time.

The wideband is best used in addition to the factory O2 sensor. I am aware that some dsmers are running it in place of, but the factory O2 is great for telling the ecu whether to go into closed loop or not.

Your wideband sensor will not last as long in the O2 housing. The heat will shorten its life. If you're okay with that, leave it there.

The ecu cannot understand the wideband sensor inputs like the factory O2 inputs. Your gauge is also a translator, so you have to feed the wideband signal into the gauge and let it convert the wideband signals into voltages that the ecu can understand, and connect the output wire from the gauge to go into the ecu.

If the wideband sensor was in the rear O2 location, with a standard O2 in the front location, at least the car would start and run, and then would use the input from the rear-mounted wideband for additional tuning.

I don't have access to my car right now to discuss wire colors with you, but I hope this is helpful in your decision on where to mount the wideband sensor.

are you saying i have to have the analog wires put onto the ecu? what pins do i put them to if that is what i do

Yes. The output of the gauge will go into the ecu pin for the front O2 (if that's where you keep it), or into the ecu pin for the rear O2 (if you move it to the rear location.

The diagram I have, has the front O2 input on pin 76 of the B-56 (22 pin) connector. The rear O2 input is pin 75.

Don't forget to disconnect the input wire from the original sensor at the ecu.

Yes. The output of the gauge will go into the ecu pin for the front O2 (if that's where you keep it), or into the ecu pin for the rear O2 (if you move it to the rear location.

The diagram I have, has the front O2 input on pin 76 of the B-56 (22 pin) connector. The rear O2 input is pin 75.

Don't forget to disconnect the input wire from the original sensor at the ecu.

ok and then i put the ground to the gauges ground or just ground

Attach it to its own ground point for best current flow.

ok thanks

that still didnt work thing still isnt reading right and the car still wont run worth a shit is there a stock base tune i can put so that it will run as a stock car and just change injector scale since i have a 255 and a afpr and a set of fic 750s

ok thanks

that still didnt work thing still isnt reading right and the car still wont run worth a shit is there a stock base tune i can put so that it will run as a stock car and just change injector scale since i have a 255 and a afpr and a set of fic 750s

I can definitely help you setup your link settings to get you on a great start. PM me if you'd like so that I can get you close to where you need to be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back