The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Broken Transmission!(literally), any Ideas how it happened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi40422

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2011
Bartow, Florida
****PICS****

Okay, so i picked up a 99 GST about 2 weeks ago. the guy said it had a bad transmission. when i got there i realized it wasn't
a bad, but broken, transmission. There was no Clutch or Flywheel. The flywheel was actually broken off and only the center remains on the engine side with all bolts still intact.

Front and rear transmission roll mounts were completely Smashed like a sandwich. There were chunks of transmission all over inside the engine bay. The starter looked like it was eaten up by
whatever caught on to it.

What do you guys think happened to make this much damage?
i was thinking it was either the starter somehow started this or a piece of the flywheel broke off and caused everythign. But im not tranmsision/Engine expert!
Massive Clutch failure?
Threw it in Reverse?
Didn't know how to drive a Manual Trans?

ANY THOUGHTS??

Engine looked fine to me, should i check anything on the engine side?

P.S. PO said his friend was driving around and it all happened all of a sudden. They had no car knowledge whatsoever

****PICS****

Attachments

• GST.jpg
    GST.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 20131110_163813.jpg
    20131110_163813.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20131110_172309.jpg
    20131110_172309.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 132
  • gst2.jpg
    gst2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20131117_161205.jpg
    20131117_161205.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 125
DAMN!! I would shat my pants with all the noise it made.

good thing I didn't experience it LOL just time to fix her up now

so most likely the flywheel went Kaaaabooooom?

The PO removed all pieces that might give you the full story, but I noticed the pressure plate is gone too. The disintegration of the pressure plate could have started a chain reaction. That explosion almost certainly damaged your crankshaft, so pull the engine apart to check alignment, bearings, etc. in there before you reuse it.

Judging by the Spray bombed valve cover while it was still bolted up I would venture to say whoever installed the Flywheel/Clutch did not know what they were doing and let either the flywheel or the pressure plate bolts loose.

I would say flywheel/clutch/pressure plate exploded but the hood remains intact. Most of the time these happen during high revs and there is enough kinetic energy in all those pieces to dent or even puncture a hood, even after disintegrating the bellhousing. I don't see any damage to the hood. Nice carnage nonetheless.

That is so COOL!!

Oh sorry buddy, you got a lot of carnage there. Well I would play it safe and replace everything. Part out the remains and put another drive train in. That's just my two cents though.

There was a small puncture hole in the hood of where a piece of something flew out.

so yall think the crank got damaged? Is there a way to check without tearing it all apart?

Thanks for the replies guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back