The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tighten flex plate bolts without dropping trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakes97gs

10+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2012
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I've searched but haven't found anything definitive on my question. I just bought a 1g fwd auto tsi, that needs the flex/drive plate bolts between the plate and the crank tightened. I was wondering if there is a quick and dirty way to get at these bolts without dropping the trans (maybe through the trans oil pan?) any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Impossible to do without dropping the trans. Converter bolts, sure. You're better off pulling the engine and trans out as a whole. Much easier than trying to drop the trans alone in my opinion, especially for an auto.

Do you mean the outer 4 converter bolts or the 6 inner bolts that bolt the flexplate to the crank??

the 4 outer can be tightened by spinning the crank 1/4 turn at a time. But for the inner 6 you will have to unbolt the 4 outer converter bolts, pull the motor and then tighten them.

Yeah I meant the ones holding it to the crank, I read that the proper way to torque these bolts is with 50-55 ft. lbs and red Loctite, and then after 1 heat cycle you are supposed to retorque them, so I was really hoping it was possible to tighten them without removing the trans through an access panel or something... I have removed the manual trans from a 2g fwd before and I didn't think it was that bad, is auto that much worse?? thanks for the help guys

It's not impossible, but the auto trans is noticeably heavier and a bit more bulky. I can yank the whole assembly out of the car in about less than half the time it would take fiddling around with the trans underneath. It's whatever you're more comfortable doing. In my case, I think yanking the whole thing is far easier. Besides, it gives me an excuse to perform plenty of maintenance. No better time than now to change that IM gasket, TB job, BSE, etc. Also a great opportunity to swap in the 3g BB and master cylinder if you plan on brembo swapping.

If I recall correctly your suppost to torque the bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank to 97 ft lbs (I did 100 ft lbs just because)... but I agree with joethefallen, its alot easier to pull everything out at once and do your basic maintenance to everything you can get to while stuff is out so you dont have to do it again in the future.

I think if you follow the proper directions specs and sequence you'll be fine. I would not pull that trans to retorque it.

well, I just got this car and I bought it needing the bolts tightened, they are already loose, the motor supposedly has 5000 miles on it, and apparently when it was put back together, the bolts weren't tightened properly. I think I will end up dropping the trans. Thanks for all the help guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back