The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Key won't stay in place.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teezy

Proven Member
Nov 23, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys, since I don't drive the car to school too often I don't like it sitting around. My dad drives it to work sometimes and as smart as he is, filled the tank ALREADY half full of 93 octane with 87. I know. I'm just not sure if that has to do anything with my current problem. He couldn't make it home because the key wouldn't stay in the "ON" position. It moves a little bit once it is inserted. A little movement knocks the key into another position not letting the car stay on. I'm guessing bad ignition switch? I drained the fuel and reset the ECU. Car's got 104K, BTW tried using the original key and a duplicate, same problem. If you guys need a video, I'l post one. (Car runs flawlessly) Any help is greatly appreciated!:dsm:

I'd look into the ignition switch. I had the same thing happen in an old CRX that I once owned many years ago. The ignition is set up the same way as far as the switch right on the tumbler. I replaced the switch and never had another issue with it.

i would buy a key an tumbler sound like its worn out if its in the run position can you remove the key and keep it running ? does the cylinder stay in place? also is there alot of movement up and down when key is in?key and tumbles are pretty cheap i dont think your gonna need a ign switch.you should be able to remove the plastics off the column the with a pic or small screw driver remove the key and tumbler by pushing in the little button and turn the key and pull out at the same time then you can use a screw driver to run the ign switch to see if it stops doing that then you will know if its the tumbler or the ign switch

The key does not slide out while in the on position, but will go back to the "acc" position very easily. I can tap my steering wheel and it moves to another position.

I'l just go ahead and install a nice remote start system for now, I don't want to have to carry around a second key. Thanks for the help!:dsm:

A remote start system won't leave your car running to drive. If you hit the brake pedal, the system will shut off. You also cannot rev higher than 2500 rpm on most of the systems as well without the car shutting down.

I'l just go ahead and install a nice remote start system for now, I don't want to have to carry around a second key. Thanks for the help!:dsm:

Well the part that is bad, the ignition switch will not require a second key. Your solution is not a good one. Just replace the switch.

Never heard of a key not staying in the right position. Usually if key/lock is that worn out the key will simply slide out of the lock.

ya that is what mine does but it never falls out or anything, i like it i can start the talon then take the key out and start the trans am to move cars around so for me its convenient :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back