The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tri-metal vs aluminum rod bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lars y

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2007
Halden, Europe
I read up on the difference regarding the main bearings, but i couldn`t find much information about the rod bearings. Will the same principles apply on the rod bearings?

From what i could gather the tri-metal bearings can withstand more pressure but the aluminum bearings are more forgiving.
So in a high HP engine the tri-metal would be the better choice, while aluminum is cheaper and better suited for a stock engine.

Thanks

The aluminum bearings are way more forgiving to the crack shaft as they are a very soft metal. I use the aluminum bearings and have no problem with them. Alot of engine builders perfer the aluminum bearings as well. They are cheaper but dont let that fool you.

Tri metal bearings are mostly used for high reving engines and can take a lot of abuse when they are set up properly and the correct series is chosen.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back