Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2002, 12:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 10
Classifieds Rating: 0

6-bolt block

how much does it cost for a 6-bolt block and how much is it to get put in.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 615
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes =^.^=
The price varies alot. From 500-1500. Check out DSMtrader or look into JDM engines.

The price for a swap into a 2g cost around 1100 plus another 500 or so for parts you need that are not compatible.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1994 Toyota Tercel
Tech Posts: 98
Send a message via AIM to MattR

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt motors

Hey, I have a question about the difference between the 6 bolt and 7 bolt motors. I understand the 6 bolts are stronger (stronger rods i believe?), but at what point (in relation to horsepower/1320 times) does that make a difference? Like is a 7 bolt able to handle, say, 300hp, capable of doing 12/13s? The reason I ask is because i found a 93 talon turbo in the classifieds. Im not really aiming for much more than the stage 1 setup, at least not for now. Thanks guys.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 392
Photos: 2
If you are looking for 12/13s car, the 7 bolt motor should be no problem at all.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-30-2002, 08:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,367
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: candela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to candela
he general sense for the motors is roughly 400-450whp for 6 bolts and roughly 380-420whp for 7 bolts

Each is very capable of running low 12's-high 11's stock

Old 10-30-2002, 10:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 46
Send a message via ICQ to GonePostal Send a message via AIM to GonePostal Send a message via Yahoo to GonePostal
7 bolts are weaker but they are also lighter and rev a bit faster. You shouldn't worry at all if you're running under 350 HP.
Visit GonePostal's homepage! 

Old 10-31-2002, 03:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 33
Photos: 9
7 bolts get crankwalk, 6 bolts don't.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 46
Send a message via ICQ to GonePostal Send a message via AIM to GonePostal Send a message via Yahoo to GonePostal
Quote:
Originally posted by Masterbrandon
7 bolts get crankwalk, 6 bolts don't.
Any engine can get crankwalk. All you have to do is give it a good reason to. Crankwalk however is generally a 2G 7 bolt issue.
Visit GonePostal's homepage! 

Old 11-17-2002, 06:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1989 Mighty Max
Tech Posts: 247
Photos: 7

6 bolt and 7 bolt diff.

Ok i dont know if this is a stupid question or not but how do you tell the difference between a 6 bolt and 7 bolt engine? Im looking to buy a GST and i hear that 6 bolt dont get CW.

Old 11-17-2002, 07:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,367
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: candela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to candela
Simply put just check to see the build date of the car in the doorjam. 6 bolt's were made from the beginning up until build date 5/92. Thre are a few that may have 7 bolts around that era but most all dont. Unless your getting an early 1g dsm than you need not worry about checking cause no 2g's have them. If your still not sure than check the oil pan. The 6 bolt has an indentation where the 7 bolt has a bulge.

Some advice... even if you do get another 1g with a 7 bolt the odds are definetly with you for not getting crankwalk for 2 reasons: 1) its a 1g and I have never heard of one walking and 2) it will probably have 100k + miles on it, and if it were going to walk chances are it would have a while back

Old 12-07-2002, 12:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Photos: 13
Question

Do I have a 6bolt or a 7

I have a 92 gsx and I don't know how to find out which block I have, could anyone tell me where or what to look for
thank you

Old 12-07-2002, 01:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 919
Reputation: 90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to90GSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to 90GSX
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html

Old 12-07-2002, 01:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 354
Photos: 4
Send a message via AIM to biddybengbeng
Quote:
Originally posted by 90GSX
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html
word. once again vfaq saves the day worship it!

Old 12-07-2002, 04:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Photos: 13
thank you

Old 12-11-2002, 06:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 186
Classifieds Rating: 143
Question

6 bolt, 7 bolt?

I have a 93 TSI and was wondering how I could tell if it had a 6 or 7 bolt. I know they went to 7 half way in 92, but isn't it a possibility my car was made in 92, even though it's a 93? THANKS MENG

Old 12-11-2002, 07:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 94
Photos: 10
Yeah, its possible your car was made in 92 (you can check the firewall for the month and year I believe) but I think they stopped the 6 bolt after early 92. Almost 100% sure you would have a 7 bolt stock.

Edit : Hey, another Iowa Tuner! Don't sell the civic, trust me.
Visit KooK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-11-2002, 08:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 331
Thumbs up

I believe the transition came in May of '92. If you check my list of previous posts, there is one from a thread I started about this exact subject not too long ago. You may find some more information there.
Oh, I'm also an IOWA boy!!!
Visit ISUJakey's homepage! 

Old 12-11-2002, 09:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,165
Photos: 31
Send a message via AIM to cucumber Send a message via Yahoo to cucumber
Being a 93 I believe you have the 7-bolt.

Old 01-12-2003, 06:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 111

6 bolt or 7 bolt

If I order a jdm engine how can i make sure it will be a 6 bolt?

Old 01-12-2003, 08:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 575
Send a message via AIM to RossY

Re: 6 bolt or 7 bolt

Quote:
Originally posted by dunndilly
If I order a jdm engine how can i make sure it will be a 6 bolt?
when i ordered mine i simply asked them.
But here is another answer: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html