The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

What Transmission For 2.3L/2.4L AWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonTorresGST

Probationary Member
May 25, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
To start off, I would like to begin building my 2.4L and hoppefully have it done by the end of this year. I have a 4g64 block and crank just collecting dust so wth.

I plan on going all forged internals with a 1g head, 20g, and all supporting upgrades. Aiming for 350-425whp on e85 (Station around the corner).

Only thing that has me worried at this point is the transmission. The car will never see the dragstrip or hard launch at any point. Will be my daily driver and might see Auto X once every other month. Would also be nice to pull on a couple of rustangs on the streets.

So my questions is, do I really have to get some crazy built transmission? Or do you guys think a Stage 1, maybe 2 from Shep will be enough? I know its the torque that will eventually destroy the transmission, or maybe a hard launch. But what if it never sees a launch?

Also, you guys think the transfer case will be good? Just trying to get some info from people who are running 2.3L/2.4L AWD cars.

Ive searched a couple of days now with no luck. Most threads I found are members warning others about hard launching and what not. So any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have seen many stock transmissions make 500whp, so a shep trans never hurts. Doesn't seem like you will be to harsh on it and that you will take good care of it. So I think you will be fine however you do it. That's about all I can think of for the time being. Best thing I can think of is look for good gearing if your maybe thinking of auto x.

I have seen many stock transmissions make 500whp, so a shep trans never hurts. Doesn't seem like you will be to harsh on it and that you will take good care of it. So I think you will be fine however you do it. That's about all I can think of for the time being. Best thing I can think of is look for good gearing if your maybe thinking of auto x.

Yea im very anal about my cars and take really good care of them. But like I was saying, most people running 2.3L/2.4L say that its not the power that will kill the transmission, but the torque produced. Not sure if its true or false, but sounds very logical.

People making 500whp on stock trannies makes me feel a little better, but like you said, Couldnt hurt to upgrade a bit.

Anyone else?

I wouldn't count on a stock tranny withholding 500 awhp for too long. I talked to Shep when I was buying my awd transmission and he told me that, yes, the torque matters, but what really kills a transmission is back to back pulls. It heats up the gears and then they become brittle.

FWIW, my fwd tranny went out exactly like this. I have a 2.3L on e85 and was somewhere around 400 fwhp. The tranny blew the day after making back to back pulls for tuning. It's great that you won't be launching it, but I suspect road courses may be just as bad, if not worse, for the tranny's longevity. I ended up getting a stage four, but he said there's still no guarantee if doing back to back pulls. Good luck with the build.

Like mentioned before, there are numerous cases of stock transmissions holding together under high power, and professionally built transmissions that lived an unexpectedly short life. However, there are still factors you can control to seriously increase the longevity of the trans, stock or built.

Using the right gear oil is a big one. I'd suggest nothing but Mitsubishi DiaQueen or Redline MT90 in the trans. Stay away from BG products like Syncroshift. And like Nick said, it's also important to consider how the trans will be used. A transmission that experiences frequent and aggressive use will obviously be under more stress. Bad driving habits and techniques can also put a strain on things.

But if your in the market for a strong built trans from a trustworthy company, I'd suggest looking into Jacks Transmissions. Keep in mind their "Stage 2" builds are the strongest, so I'd stay away from the pricey high level builds.
Value Rebuilds – Jacks Transmissions LLC

More info on gear oil:
Oil – Jacks Transmissions LLC

I have a 2.3 with a built head and 20g and i broke my 3-4 sleeve within 4000 miles of my build. My tranny had 96,000mi and was well maintained, but eventually a 3rd gear pull was too much. It spools quick, too quick LOL

It is the torque that kills transmissions, and I don't see the point of putting all that into the motor and leaving it up to an old stock transmission to hold it all - even if I was just tooling around town. Even if you just roll into the throttle you are still putting more torque through it then it was designed to handle and something catastrophic can still occur.

I'm not saying you need some exotic shoot the moon type build, but at least a freshened stage 1 or stage 2 performance build from one of the big names in trans.

I second the fluids recommendation as I only use Mitsu Diaqueen in my Evo and MT-90 in my TRE built trans in my Eclipse.

Some really good information given. A lot of strong points. I was never expecting a stock transmission to handle the power. But I guess I will nenever know until I do it. I will keep looking more into the transmissions.

Really liking the Jack 2.2HD transmission. Might have to talk to them more about my plans, and hopefully they can help me some more.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I don't know if people know or not. But, a xxxxx stage xxxxx transmission still has weak Dsm gears in it, and will break. Welding your center diff, and using early 1g gears holds up the best. Your stock 2g transmission will shatter the 3-4 slider as soon as it sees any real torque. But they will all still do this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This was in a e85 maxed out 20g car for about 10,000 miles, tops.

I don't know if people know or not. But, a xxxxx stage xxxxx transmission still has weak Dsm gears in it, and will break. Welding your center diff, and using early 1g gears holds up the best. Your stock 2g transmission will shatter the 3-4 slider as soon as it sees any real torque. But they will all still do this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This was in a e85 maxed out 20g car for about 10,000 miles, tops.

Yea, welding the center diff is going to be a must. Any real solution for not breaking the 3-4? Thats where most people are breaking theres. Whether built or not...:confused:

Yea, welding the center diff is going to be a must. Any real solution for not breaking the 3-4? Thats where most people are breaking theres. Whether built or not...:confused:

No. There's just no way to get around not using "stock" gears and even a built trans is a crapshoot past 400 lb-ft of torque. Using a dogbox is the only way to get around the stock gearing, but I've never had one.

Having a highpowered car means breaking shit eventually and having to pay for it sooner or later.

Last edited:
No. There's just no way to get around not using "stock" gears and even a built trans is a crapshoot past 4-500 lp-ft of torque. Using a dogbox is the only way to get around the stock gearing, but I've never had one.

Having a highpowered car means breaking shit eventually and having to pay for it sooner or later.

I guess thats true. If you aint breaking nothing, you aint pushing enough power. :D

Also, look into a 4-spyder center differential. It's a tad pricey compared to simply welding, but it lets you avoid the annoyances of a welded center diff. The drivetrain binding makes it difficult to maneuver parking lots and slow/tight turns.

there is this option to havent looked to far into it yet since i have to change the roof on my house first...=(

Par-Engineering - Gearsets (Mitsubishi)

Good luck with that. Thanks for the link, im reading it right now.

/A

Also, look into a 4-spyder center differential. It's a tad pricey compared to simply welding, but it lets you avoid the annoyances of a welded center diff. The drivetrain binding makes it difficult to maneuver parking lots and slow/tight turns.

Yea I was looking into that, not sure if it could handle though. Ill read more into it though. It would definetley be worth it if it can handle the abuse.

After doing a lot more research. I found that Jacks Transmissions claim to have an unbreakable 3-4 fork. Is this true? :confused:

I really doubt that they would put their name on the line if it wasnt true.
Anyone have any input on this? Thinking about ordering the 2.2HD.:D

Any info on their claims would be nice.

I have a Jacks Custom Road race tranny on my 2.4 L. So far no issues but I don't take it to a drag racing track and my whp/Tq is about 375/361 at 20lbs boost on a mustang low reading dyno. I have gone up to 433whp on colder days with more boost but like you I want my expensive tranny to last so I am not going for any more power LOL!! I looked at the specs and it seems the Jacks have Evo double syncro gears among other goodies so hopefully I no breaky anything!

Here is a brief list of what is included:

Quaife ATB LSD with speedo ring and bearings
Latest revision all bronze synchros
Unbreakable 3-4 fork
Intermediate shaft
Double synchro 1-4 gears
Welded (or 4-spider center diff option in the pop-down menu above) center diff
EVOIII 1-4 gears with the tighter 'ultimate ratio'
Taller EVOIII 1st gear
4 spring 1-2 hub.

I switched to an auto. I no longer cringe doing 3rd gear pulls.

Just think..this time last year you were talking about swapping back to 5-speed. Welcome to the enlightened. :p

x2 for going Auto. I try not to recommend that anymore as it gets you a lot of enemies...but it wasn't me that brought it up first this time. :p

Just think..this time last year you were talking about swapping back to 5-speed. Welcome to the enlightened. :p

x2 for going Auto. I try not to recommend that anymore as it gets you a lot of enemies...but it wasn't me that brought it up first this time. :p

I did swap. I may be the only auto, to manual, back to auto swap.ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back