The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

not starting, not spark to fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegionGS

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2007
Norwalk, California
Hi guys, I got a problem with my 420a. The car died while running, tried to start it but only cranks, not check engine light and not engine running. Camshaft sensor new, I checked all the fuses under the hood, including the ECU. Battery is fine (brand new) interior lights on so there's power. Today I checked the fuel pump pressure and there's no pressure, no power to fuel pump (I used the multimeter). I checked the relays 'both' Fuel pump & MFI and they're good... any ideas? I saw some stuff like the crank sensor probably went bad? there was a post that put the key ON and see if the tachometer NEEDLE is moving or not? if not crank sensor is bad, any help what to check next will be appreciated, thanks guys..:)

I found this what you think? I used to have hesitation while accelerating, and my 420a shuts off at random ( most cases in a stop signal light )

Failure Symptoms of CPK

There are three primary engine malfunction symptoms that may be indicators of CPK malfunction. If the vehicle engine is experiencing cylinder misfires, the CPK may not be providing the computer with accurate information on piston position. If the vehicle hesitates during acceleration, the CPK may not be providing cylinder position data to the computer fast enough to fire the appropriate cylinder to accelerate the vehicle in response to driver input. The most serious indication of CPK malfunction is intermittent start, and eventually no start. When the sensor fails, the computer will register a malfunction code and illuminate the check engine light on the instrument panel. There may be an indication of sensor failure due to defective electrical connections such as high resistance, or an open condition in the circuit going to the sensor or returning to the vehicle engine control module.

I couldn't because there's not check engine light when put the key ON. I want to do the key dance but I guess I can't. I think I might get someone with a OBDii and see if it read the ecu

Does the check engine light come on when you have the key in the ignition with the rest of the lights?

Does the check engine light come on when you have the key in the ignition with the rest of the lights?

The check engine doesn't come out when turning the key ON'' it usually does before and I could hear the noise of the fuel pump running. But Today I discovered something, my friend gave me a Neon ECU idk what year but is the same connector as 420a's and same size and everything. I just put it today instead of mine and now I can hear the fuel pump and check engine light is ON, but I didn't crank it because battery is dead, so tomorrow morning I'm gonna get some jumper wires and crank it up! see what happens, hopefully it runs again. If it does I will buy a new one for 420a

Could very well be your cas but I would jump the relay first to see if the fuel pump will turn on. Do a search you will see find how to test the fuel pump manually. Its pretty simple.

Last edited:
sounds like your ecu took a dump. no check engine light when the key is on is a good indicator of a shot ecu. i dont recall the relays names on the drivers side firewall of the engine compartment, but there are a couple there you should check, i believe one provides power to the ecu, or ground (cant recall).

if the neon ecu gives you power to the fuel pump and your check engine light comes on for a couple seconds, then id slap a battery in there and crank it over.

Could very well be your cas but I would jump the relay first to see if the fuel pump will turn on. Do a search you will see find how to test the fuel pump manually. Its pretty simple.

Thanks man I jump the relay and fuel pump is working :thumb:

sounds like your ecu took a dump. no check engine light when the key is on is a good indicator of a shot ecu. i dont recall the relays names on the drivers side firewall of the engine compartment, but there are a couple there you should check, i believe one provides power to the ecu, or ground (cant recall).

if the neon ecu gives you power to the fuel pump and your check engine light comes on for a couple seconds, then id slap a battery in there and crank it over.

Now my DSM is AWAKE! :hellyeah: I put the neon ECU and now it starts!! so my old ECU was bad :hmm: I'm gonna buy a new one :) because with this Neon ECU I have a battery and check engine light on my dashboard, and when I'm cranking it, takes like 6 seconds to start so I should get a new one.

[PROBLEM SOLVED] thanks alot EVERYONE for your help!!! my ECU died so I replaced it with a Neon one and it worked!!!

Note: symptoms on my car: died while driving and won't start again, it was cranking but not starting, no engine light on dashboard, not spark to the fuel pump.

Things that I tested first:
- Battery
- Fuses: interior and under hood
- fuel pump (I jump my fuel pump because there was no spark to it, it works)
- I checked CPS and CMS sensors and they were good.
- Last I got a Neon ECU at junk yard, put it instead of mine, and started it right away.
- Probably I jump some steps to be checked but finally it was the problem ;)

I say fuel pump relay.. couldn't hurt to test with another one. 2 minute job.

I think I'm gonna buy another one dude, there's 2 people now that said the same thing. I recently bought one before I changed the ECU (died) but I'm gonna buy another to see maybe that one was bad too?

Problem SOLVED it was my ecu that went bad, currently running a Dodge Neon ECU and it runs very nice and smooth. The bad now is that I have battery and check engine light :/

Long time ago post, but I ended up installing a same engine and year used ECU on my car (95 GS 420a engine) car continues as my daily :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back