Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 37
Classifieds Rating: 0
2G-specific

brake caliper

On my passenger side brake caliper the bottom screw is tighting up with no play or movement but the top screw on the brake caliper is tightens up but has some play from side to side. It is making an awful rubbing noise. Can I just change the hardware or do I need a new caliper?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 534
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 20
I believe the top bolt should have a rubber piece on the end, preventing play. You are talking about the bolts that are really long(around 3 inches) and holds the caliper to the bracket? If so, most likely a new harware kit, along with cleaning the bracket hole, where the bolt slides into, will solve your problem.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

yeah the bolts are about 3 inches long. They tighten up to the caliper but have movement in the caliper mounting bracket side to side

Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsemaniac View Post
yeah the bolts are about 3 inches long. They tighten up to the caliper but have movement in the caliper mounting bracket side to side
Did you ensure the bracket bolts were tight to the hub also? Without the caliper on does it wiggle? Sometimes the caliper will move untill you bleed the brakes, or press on them a couple times.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Im sorry i typed the wrong thing. the caliper bracket is tight to the hub and doesnt move. when you tighten the bolts on the caliper to the bracket the caliper has side to side movement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Im sorry i typed the wrong thing. the caliper bracket is tight to the hub and doesnt move. when you tighten the bolts on the caliper to the bracket the caliper has side to side movement
Did you check to see if one of your bolts has the piece of rubber on the end. Like this picture. http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...Writeup026.jpg

It is common for them to have movement until you bleed brakes like i said. Did you bleed them yet?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yeah the bolt has the piece of rubber on it. I havent bleed the system. I was just driving down the road heard this noise. I unbolted the caliper left the brake line hooked to it. so why should i bleed the system. my brake pads have alot of wear left. checked rotors out it doesnt looked warped. but when im just rolling i can hear the noise of somthing rubbing and determind that is the caliper. I dont have any noise while braking.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Yeah the bolt has the piece of rubber on it. I havent bleed the system. I was just driving down the road heard this noise. I unbolted the caliper left the brake line hooked to it. so why should i bleed the system. my brake pads have alot of wear left. checked rotors out it doesnt looked warped. but when im just rolling i can hear the noise of somthing rubbing and determind that is the caliper. I dont have any noise while braking.
The only other thing that i could think of is that the bolts need regreasing. You must put grease on them when you put them back on. Otherwise your issue could be a stuck caliper.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Here is a video showing what is going on.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 186
Classifieds Rating: 2
it is supposed to move like that the rotor will stop moving when the wheel is tightened

Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

When the wheel is on and im driving I get a rubbing noise. So I took the tire off and put the car in netural so could turn the rotor and thats where im hearing the noise from the caliper rubbing on the rotor. I wasnt sure if there was supposed to be side to side motion.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
When the wheel is on and im driving I get a rubbing noise. So I took the tire off and put the car in netural so could turn the rotor and thats where im hearing the noise from the caliper rubbing on the rotor. I wasnt sure if there was supposed to be side to side motion.
Yeah, that is normall, like he said when you bolt down the wheel that will stop. Does the car roll fine? If not your caliper could have siezed and cause it to drag. Also check your brake sheild to make sure its not bent.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,548
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: pauleyman is pretty helpful and trustworthypauleyman is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Those bolts don't bolt to the caliper, they bolt to the caliper bracket and the caliper is just riding on them, free floating. If the rotor weren't in the way you could actually slide the caliper off. If something is rubbing it's a piston issue or the calipers aren't floating like they should be. If those bolts don't get tight you may need to replace both the bolts and the caliper bracket. Sometimes the caliper doesn't get a good seal on the bolt (bad seals) and can rust in which case often the bolt and caliper are toast. Usually no way to fix it once they rust and get crappy.

Just noticed you were NT. I was speaking for the turbo cars but generally the statements above should still hold true. Past cars I've worked on both mitsu and non mitsu worked like this.

Last edited by pauleyman; 01-26-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok thanks , Ill check this out more in the morning, its dark now. thanks for the help. ill post when i get it resolved.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 34
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 2
I would think if the bolts are tight and its just moving with the rotor you should be ok with the wheel on.