Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 54
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
Question

4g63t 4g63 non turbo ?

Is there a difference between the Turbo and non Turbo 4g63's. Just curious and what are the difference if any? Would they work in a Turbo car? Are the heads the same? I don't know kind of dumb question I know.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yeah I know the difference between 420a and 4g63. I have a awful talon as well as my rs. I have access to tons of non Turbo 4g63 engine's. And a friend of mine has a no Turbo head I will buy if it will work on my 96 awful talon. I bought it with a broke t belt for $300 I also bought a 90 6 bolt Turbo engine come to find out it has bent valves as well I just want to get this car back on the road. I'm putting new bearings and all gaskets in it while I have it apart as well as all fluid change all u joint and all that stuff matenince wise.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 12
your fine interchanging the heads. The compression ratio is not the problem with the non turbo pistions its the thin ring lands. Non turbo block is okay with turbo pistons. you won't have oil squirters and there is some debate on that but lots of people run without them.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,007
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 11
As for the head, yes it will work. You may have to swap out cams for turbo cams, and the bolts are bigger on a 2g

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Sweet that's good to know I might just have to start buying them to have as spare blocks as I plan on drag racing and at some point would like to breakers 1000 HP at the crank so a spare block or two wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 58
Classifieds Rating: 0
the only difference between Turbo and non Turbo 4g heads is the exhaust cam is "bigger" in the Turbo head

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdc1221 View Post
As for the head, yes it will work. You may have to swap out cams for turbo cams, and the bolts are bigger on a 2g
Good point about the bolts. missed the part where you were putting it in a 2g that makes it more involved you need to use the 1g manifold to match and that raises more problems with the coils and sensors etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2006 Electric Blue Evo IX
Tech Posts: 789
Photos: 6
Send a message via AIM to white92talontsi Send a message via Yahoo to white92talontsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined0000 View Post
Turbo = beast, non turbo = non beast.

Different compression ratio is the biggest one and a whole bunch of other blah. Can you put a turbo on a n/t 4g63, yes. Will it explode? Yes. Just the same way if you were going to boost your 420a, you would need new pistons atleast. I'm going adventurous here, but N/A compression ratio is anywhere from 9 - 10:1, compared to the 7 of the turbo 1g. BOOM! If anyone was thinking about a conversion, it would just be much easier to swap in a 4g63t on vfaq there is a guide to the conversion, that will explain more.
This was a very bad post on your behalf. If you do not know anything about the 2 engines then I would not be posting misleading information.

The non turbo 4g63 carries all the same parts as the turbo version minus the pistons and the oil squirters.

They are the same engine, same crank and the same rods. You can use the non turbo motor just fine without changing anything but keep boost on the low side due to the pistons.

The compression ratio really has nothing to do with it either.
Visit white92talontsi's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

I have all the 6 bolt parts to do this then as I bought a complete 6 bolt even have all the plugs for the sensors and all. Thank you guys for clearing this up. I don't plan on using the non Turbo pistons at all.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 255
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by white92talontsi View Post
This was a very bad post on your behalf. If you do not know anything about the 2 engines then I would not be posting misleading information.

The non turbo 4g63 carries all the same parts as the turbo version minus the pistons and the oil squirters.

They are the same engine, same crank and the same rods. You can use the non turbo motor just fine without changing anything but keep boost on the low side due to the pistons.

The compression ratio really has nothing to do with it either.
Well there's the oil filter housing as well that's different. Mounts the exact same but the turbo's have either an oil cooler set up (90-91 I believe) or a liquid cooled filter housing (92-99).

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stracer107 View Post
I have all the 6 bolt parts to do this then as I bought a complete 6 bolt even have all the plugs for the sensors and all. Thank you guys for clearing this up. I don't plan on using the non Turbo pistons at all.
Then use the 6 bolt with the n/t head and the turbo cams. One problem is wiring in the 1g cas. But you really need to read this How to do a 6 bolt swap and what you need first before you decide to undertake this. And if you do, i would suggest freshening that 6 bolt up. Might as well since youre going that far

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Then use the 6 bolt with the n/t head and the turbo cams. One problem is wiring in the 1g cas. But you really need to read this How to do a 6 bolt swap and what you need first before you decide to undertake this. And if you do, i would suggest freshening that 6 bolt up. Might as well since youre going that far
I want to use the 7 bolt for now and build the 6 bolt for power when I get the funds together to do so. I have read how to do the swap and plan to do so. Or is it really going to be worth just using the 6 bolt now? My talon is an auto trans by the way. With the factory LSD in it. If it will be a better set up to run the 6 bolt ill go ahead and do that but I have almost all I need to do a rebuild on the 7 bolt.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Why not just buy new valves? You can get new ss valves off ebay for less than $100, lap them in, and install new lifters, and poof your done. Assuming of course that the valve seats werent damaged

Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

I
Quote:
Why not just buy new valves? You can get new ss valves off ebay for less than $100, lap them in, and install new lifters, and poof your done. Assuming of course that the valve seats werent damaged
I am assuming that I would have to replace valve guides as well. I've thought about that too. I've heard good things about the $100 eBay ss valves. Idk what to do. I can get the NT head cheap. Idk

Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 608
Photos: 4
so 4g63t pistons will drop right into a NA block

Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Not unless the guides are worn. But honestly, considering how cheap you got the car, i wouldnt complain too much about a couple hundred spent on the head. My personal opinion would be to stay with the 2g head. Then you dont to worry about the cas, buying a 1g intake, etc. Then build that 6 bolt and drop it in later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky_DSM View Post
so 4g63t pistons will drop right into a NA block
Yes. They are the same bore. The only difference in the n/t 4g63 and the 4g63t blocks is the absence of oil squirters

Last edited by Cdc1221; 11-18-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Photos: 21
another thing you have to keep in mine is the intake cam is differnt on a 1997-99,it has the slot cut at the end for the cam sencer,but you can use any non turbo or turbo head and it works .

Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensToySpyder View Post
another thing you have to keep in mine is the intake cam is differnt on a 1997-99,it has the slot cut at the end for the cam sencer,but you can use any non turbo or turbo head and it works .
The 1g 4g heads dont just bolt right on. The holes have to be reamed out for the 12mm headbolts, the 1g cas either has to be wired in or removed, the coils have to be relocated or swapped with the 1g intake AND tb

Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Photos: 21
you are correct , i forgot all about the head bolts,it been over 10 years sins i did that swap, good looking out

Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensToySpyder View Post
you are correct , i forgot all about the head bolts,it been over 10 years sins i did that swap, good looking out
Its cool thats why i just suggested its best just to replace the valves on the stock head vs the trouble of swapping