The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

car wont shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmspydergst

Probationary Member
Sep 25, 2012
san diego, California
i have an automatic stock 97 spyder gst and the car runs fine but when im driving the car will suddenly get stuck on watever gear im on it accelerates but wont move i have to change gears to neutral then back to drive to work again. i just bought this car and when i test drived it i didnt do this can anyone help me.

Do an transmission service. Replace fluid etc. Also check the bands in the valve body of the transmission. They could be loose causing a the transmission to miss shift or not shift at all. Happens in my friends truck all the time.

do you know if i can tighten them by just lifting the car and going under and tighten them or do i have to take out the tranny and open it to tighten them ? and thanks for the help man really appreciate.

I am not entire sure. I don't own an automatic transmission. But usually, valve bodys are located directly on the bottom of a transmission so if there is clearance then you should be able to unbolt and drop the transmission pan then have access to the valve body where you can adjust band and pressure levels. You may want to jack the car up and see if the transmission pan will just fall right out or if you need to unblock things.

Also, when you take off the transmission pan, I would suggest cleaning out the bottom and sides of the pan with an engine degreaser like Brakekleen or some other company. Just to remove any sludge or other nasty things you don't want being sucked back up into your valve body and transmission. And clean all the metal filings off of the magnet in the bottom of the pan if their are any. Lastly, be sure to put on a new transmission filter. Just in case. All this work can help prevent alot of failures down the road.

Good Instructional video - Mitsubishi / DSM Valve Body Removal and Installation Video « IPT Performance Transmissions

Kiggly Racing - kigglyracing.com

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back