Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,632
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Artago
Question

Good Rain Tires?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good set of rain tires for my mom's 04 Eclipse. Vancouver is very wet and I'd like to get something a little better than all season's because from October - May it's pretty much wet driving everyday.

Any suggesting for a good bang for the buck rain tire?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by Artago; 09-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,278
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 4
I've never destroyed rain and snow with summer tires like I have with my Continental DW's. I'm looking to buy them again.
The Continental DWS is the best all-season tire I've ever used [on a mazda 3]. Very competent in wet weather but I never got to try them on a sheet of ice or anything.
Vancity doesn't see a lot of snow or ice (comparatively) so I would probably get myself the DW's but the DWS's for my mom.

Unfortunately, neither are very "bang for buck" but both will displace water as if they were parting the red sea.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieEyedPiper View Post
I've never destroyed rain and snow with summer tires like I have with my Continental DW's. I'm looking to buy them again.
The Continental DWS is the best all-season tire I've ever used [on a mazda 3]. Very competent in wet weather but I never got to try them on a sheet of ice or anything.
Vancity doesn't see a lot of snow or ice (comparatively) so I would probably get myself the DW's but the DWS's for my mom.

Unfortunately, neither are very "bang for buck" but both will displace water as if they were parting the red sea.
Sweet, I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can get either the DW or DWS for about $155 CDN installed.
http://www.soratwheels.ca/tires-conti.htm

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,519
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 7
I have no experience with them but what about checking into one of the newer "all weather" tires (not all seasons). These are a mix between all season & winter tires, so they have the winter weather approval (all seasons do not) but can be used year round (longer tread life then winters). Winter tires have a softer compound that work well when the temps drop. I would imagine the all weather tires would be similar & offer better grip in the cooler wet conditions, I would think she'll experience in winter months.

If the temps stay above 10C, probably could just go with a reg all season, that are good in the wet. Tire rack is a good place to check out tire ratings from users.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren_p View Post
I have no experience with them but what about checking into one of the newer "all weather" tires (not all seasons). These are a mix between all season & winter tires, so they have the winter weather approval (all seasons do not) but can be used year round (longer tread life then winters). Winter tires have a softer compound that work well when the temps drop. I would imagine the all weather tires would be similar & offer better grip in the cooler wet conditions, I would think she'll experience in winter months.

If the temps stay above 10C, probably could just go with a reg all season, that are good in the wet. Tire rack is a good place to check out tire ratings from users.
Temps do drop below 10C but not by much. We get about 3 days of snow per year and it's usually gone within hours. Rain is the predominant driving condition here.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,697
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
Does your mother driver her Eclipse like she stole it?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
I've driven a car (VW Jetta) with the DWS tires and it handled very well in rain and slush. Never really had it in snow or ice, so I can't really comment on that.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,519
Photos: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artago View Post
Temps do drop below 10C but not by much. We get about 3 days of snow per year and it's usually gone within hours. Rain is the predominant driving condition here.

Do you have any specific suggestions?
You could probably get away with a good all season then. I'd maybe look at something that has a tread pattern similar to a winter tire.

Personally I'm not much help for specific tires as my tires are either extreme summer tires only for the eclipse or winter specific tires for my other vehicles. I do know the winter tires I run & the set I got for the GF work very well in the wet. I can say the all seasons that came on my winter car & the GF cars are junk in the wet (one was Hankook, think other was Nexan, but I know Hankook does make some nice models as well)

Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 598
Photos: 2
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 24
Conti DWS are for a more sporty all season tire. It is very well rounded most BMW's use them as their factory tire.

Best all season with performance (horsepower) not in mind is a michelin

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knochgoon24 View Post
Does your mother driver her Eclipse like she stole it?
Pretty much haha. She even has a radar detector.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So most of you are suggesting Conti DW / DWS, but which ones? DWS looks like it's better for snow where as DW is better for rain.

At least that's how it looks to me based on the tread pattern. Agreed?

I'm leaning towards the DW at this point unless someone can dissuade me.

Thanks again for all the info,

Tom

Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Classifieds Rating: 0
DWSs are great in rain (and better than DWs), but if you can afford Pole Positions, they are even better. When I lived in False Creek for a while, I was on Kumho MXs and they were OK, but Kumho's more recent tires haven't been as good in the rain, so take this as a vote against them.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,697
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
My Hankook Ventus Evo V12 K110's haven't been too bad in the rain. I haven't driven them in the cold yet, so I don't know if they'll get slick in the cold. But so far so good. And they're pretty cheap. I always run winter tires from mid-November until mid-March.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 454
Photos: 22
Yokohama YK580s, they are sold at Discount tire/America's tire. I've never actually owned a set, but working at Discount Tire I've heard nothing but good things about these tires.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,805
Photos: 53
Classifieds Rating: 24
Reputation: Dsmkauai is pretty helpful and trustworthyDsmkauai is pretty helpful and trustworthy
I would look into a set of hankooks Ventus v12. I'm on my second set an they are outstanding in the rain, which we get a ton of here. Also you can score them on amazon and get free shipping. My friend also just grabbed a set for his evo8 and called me and said you are right bro these tires are sick and his car runs mid 11's.

Last edited by Dsmkauai; 09-11-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

I must have been dsmtuners-sleeping again. I swear that late last night there was a glowing review for Nexens. Glad I've now wiped the sleep from my eyes.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So far Conti DWS seems like the best bang for the buck deal. I can get them at $155 (Canadian) per tire. Installed and balanced.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

I'd do it. I think I did 130 a tire for the DW's but it was promotional and in USD.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 44
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0
Conti DWS are the bomb

Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 193
Classifieds Rating: 2
I just took off a set of Hankook V12 Evo's because it was getting cold, and they run like poop when its cold. They become very bumpy and non responsive. They are strictly a warmer weather/summer tire. My winter tires are Kumho 4X's. They're an all season and they handle great in all conditions. They almost handle as great in summer as the V12's do. They're reasonably priced too, only around $120 a piece from Discount Tire Direct.