The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Help with oil feed line, OFH or Head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90projecttalon

Probationary Member
Nov 23, 2010
Grove Ctiy, Ohio
Okay so i have been reading up on this for awhile. People have different opinions on what they think. I have a Garrett T04S journal bearing turbo that im running on a 6bolt. I bought a feed line kit that runs off of the head from MAPerformance.com and fits fine.

My Question is that enought oil to feed my journal bearing turbo when i will be running 24psi. I was going to run it off of the OFH but i have heard people having problems with that as well. (Oil filter housing). I saw that SHEP runs his from the head but i know his turbo is a ball bearing turbo.

Okay i know what your talking about. i was going to run the restrictor right out of the OFH then run a 4an line to the turbo.

I would temporarily install an inline pressure gauge to see exactly how oil pressure you are feeding your turbo. You can then change the size of your restrictor based on that.

I personally would do off the housing because lets say you were to lose a bunch of oil for some reason, i think the head is one of the first things that will starve for oil, so if you are running off the housing it could supply enough oil possibly until you shut your car off, maybe saving your turbo. Plus there's a higher pressure so with a restrictor you should have a constant oil pressure.

I personally would do off the housing because lets say you were to lose a bunch of oil for some reason, i think the head is one of the first things that will starve for oil, so if you are running off the housing it could supply enough oil possibly until you shut your car off, maybe saving your turbo. Plus there's a higher pressure so with a restrictor you should have a constant oil pressure.
Choosing an oil source has nothing to do with any "possible" problem.

You must source your turbo based on the oiling requirement for the turbo itself. All 1G's are sourced from the head at the factory because the TD05H center housing wants 42-48psi max. The head is limited to around 35psi max, so it's a great place to source a factory turbocharger.

Being that our cars never came with T3 Garretts on them, simply find the operating oil pressure for that particular turbo and source the oil accordingly. A T3 Garrett's operating oil pressure is between 35psi and 65psi under load; the head source will come in on the low end of this figure and will likely cause some type of damage if you plan to run a high boost level which raises both the shaft and thrust loads beyond what the available oil pressure can protect.

Thanks for all the answers Justin, it really helps out. So i need to run a restrictor to keep the oil pressure in between 35psi-65psi off of the OFH. Do you know what would be a safe oil psi for this turbo on 24psi?

Well i was reading on here running a journal bearing turbo over 25psi from the head isnt enough oil pressure to feed my turbo thats why i asked. Aslo was told that i can not run over 65psi of oil pressure to the turbo as well. And there so many different size of restrictors.

Well i was reading on here running a journal bearing turbo over 25psi from the head isnt enough oil pressure to feed my turbo thats why i asked. Aslo was told that i can not run over 65psi of oil pressure to the turbo as well. And there so many different size of restrictors.

Buy a cheap oil pressure gauge, and "tee" in right at the turbo.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Notice the two fittings on the oil feed? The top is the feed with a restrictor, and the bottom is a "gauge port"

Do it like that and "tune" the restrictor size to make the oil pressure you need when the engine is up to temp and the oil is hot! It's important for the engine to be up to temp when you set the turbo oi lpressure.

Alright so your saying run my oil line from the OFH to the turbo, but befor the turbo "T" it off to also put a small oil pressure gauge on and on the other side the restrictor to the turbo? but also make sure the car is at running temps?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back