Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 123
Photos: 17
Classifieds Rating: 0

Gas tank wont fill up?

When I fill up at gas stations it only takes 20 cents at a time. I have been reading that the gas tank isnt venting properly and is clogged. Is there any diagrams I can look at to see how to take it off and What would I be looking for clogs etc?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 344
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 2
Mine did this for awhile. I have a 1g so it's probably different. In my system was this little blue check valve. It has a diaphram on the inside of it that was stuck closed and was not venting. I removed it, filled it with wd-40 and used a small tool to prod the diaphram until it was loose. Then I dumped wd-40, refilled, reworked. over and over until I was satisfied.

I then reinstalled and haven't had the problem since.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Where is the blue check valve is it by the tank im sure the 1g and 2g arent too much different in that department. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,194
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to nuclearr Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearr
The check valve is in the smaller line going from the fill neck to the tank. Look in the passenger rear wheel well.

97 GST

Old 10-21-2011, 04:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 904
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: kchaazz is extremely helpful and trustworthykchaazz is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to kchaazz Send a message via Yahoo to kchaazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvadar tsi View Post
Where is the blue check valve is it by the tank im sure the 1g and 2g arent too much different in that department. Thanks for the post.
The blue check valve on the 1G is on top of the tank, near the sending unit. This is on the AWD. I think the 2G unit is beneath an access panel that is under the rear seat but I dont remember if thats AWD or FWD on the 2G.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Do I half to drain the gas tank out in order to take off the valve? I still havent found it I see a line by the neck coming toward the gas tank but im not totally sure. I wish there was a picture or diagram of some sort to look at to find it.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 344
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 2
I didn't. The blue valve is for releasing pressure out but not letting anything bad come back in.

I have no clue where it is on the 2g. Just follow the line from the fuel tank that has no fuel in it and see where it goes. If you can't find that line, see if you still have the carb canister up in your engine bay and follow the line that says "fuel tank" back and that one will bring you straight to it.

This is assuming the 2g even has that canister.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: AWD 90 Dodge Colt 4G63T
Tech Posts: 2,589
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: Colt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthy
This "canister vent valve" should open when you shut the car off, and let the air escape from the tank so you can fill the tank. Check inside your front bumper.

I've seen other makes run into the symptom you're having, and it was always this.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

is this picture of the blue valve? Was that located on the driver side behind the front bumper? Im seeing something similar to it.