Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23
Photos: 3

obx green 20g

I recently purchased an obx green 20g Turbo. I was wondering what would be the best route for my oil feed line and if I should run a restrictor?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 93
Classifieds Rating: 12
Your best bet is going to feed it from the head in the stock location.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,016
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 9
you will find mixed reviews on that but most people are liking to feed from the OFH (oil feed housing) directly and if need be put in a restrictor. If i remember correctly MHI turbos like higher oil pressure so no need for a restrictor.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 490
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to KazooGS-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllfit7 View Post
you will find mixed reviews on that but most people are liking to feed from the OFH (oil feed housing) directly and if need be put in a restrictor. If i remember correctly MHI turbos like higher oil pressure so no need for a restrictor.
Not a mitsu turbo, it's an OBX unit...

I highly recommend returning it if possible, but if you must keep it, ask them specifically what oil pressure/feed point they recommend... I have a big suspicion that the turbo will end up dying.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

i understand usually the knock offs are attempted de-engineered builds. How much did you pay for it? I currently have an older style green in perfect condition and am thinking of upgrading. I would always go from the OFH and restrict. Cleaner cooler oil comes from there!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,301
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
You don't restrict journal bearing turbos.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

ya.....you do, ever heard of PTE journal bearing turbos going bad from too much oil pressure? Or how about Holset turbos. All of those are JB turbos and absolutely require restriction of the oil feed

Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
i understand usually the knock offs are attempted de-engineered builds. How much did you pay for it? I currently have an older style green in perfect condition and am thinking of upgrading. I would always go from the OFH and restrict. Cleaner cooler oil comes from there!
Most OBX products are made cheaply and not correctly... Don't get me wrong, they do make some things worth using. However, I would NEVER use their camshafts or turbochargers.

There is zero good stories of OBX turbos working well. Their manifolds are usable, however their camshafts will fail quickly along with the turbo units. There are soooo many engineering aspects of the OBX turbo that is wrong, which will cause the turbine to eat into the housing fairly quick.

Like I said, if possible, return it before you use it... Get as much money back as possible.. There are several MHI 20G's for sell on this forum in the classifieds for a good deal.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ya i agree, try and get rid of it and pick up something reliable. Ive been the ebay route and it worked and i thought it worked well. Then i swapped to a real MHI turbo and it made a big difference. Definitely more efficient

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 348
Classifieds Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazooGS-T View Post
Most OBX products are made cheaply and not correctly... Don't get me wrong, they do make some things worth using. However, I would NEVER use their camshafts or turbochargers.

There is zero good stories of OBX turbos working well. Their manifolds are usable, however their camshafts will fail quickly along with the turbo units. There are soooo many engineering aspects of the OBX turbo that is wrong, which will cause the turbine to eat into the housing fairly quick.

Like I said, if possible, return it before you use it... Get as much money back as possible.. There are several MHI 20G's for sell on this forum in the classifieds for a good deal.
Curious as I know next to nothing about cams. How can it fail? Is it due to bad metal alloy? How does the turbo fail as well? bad specs in the build?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

clearances and types of material used. They arent as durable and dont handle the beating. Im not sure about the cams but ive read and seen extensive evidence on the turbos

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkemp View Post
Curious as I know next to nothing about cams. How can it fail? Is it due to bad metal alloy? How does the turbo fail as well? bad specs in the build?
In the camshafts it's a combination of bad metallurgy and terrible QC causing the cams to literally eat into the the rockers/valve springs.

As far as the turbo's go, there is terrible differences on clearancing and bearing design that causes a very early death. I have literally seen the cheapest eBay units outlast an OBX turbo. The turbo will tear itself apart quite quickly.. It's just a terrible design with not much if any, thought put into shaft materials and clearances of literally every moving piece.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,732
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 4
Classifieds Rating: 216
Quote:
If i remember correctly MHI turbos like higher oil pressure so no need for a restrictor.
100% wrong. You should never exceed 48psi at the inlet on a MHI turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
Better let Mitsubishi know that so they can remove the restrictor from the OEM head feed line on all 1G 14B turbos as well as Evo VIII and IX 16G's.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
ya.....you do, ever heard of PTE journal bearing turbos going bad from too much oil pressure? Or how about Holset turbos. All of those are JB turbos and absolutely require restriction of the oil feed
it depends if balance shafts have been eliminated.

from a wiseman in another thread
Quote:
A 4g63 with balance shafts and oil squirters should do fine with a -3 feed line from the filter housing. . . If running no B shafts, a restrictor neccesary to run any journal bearing t-netics/garrett will be fine for a holset. I don't know what restrictor that may be. I just know that garret journal bearing turbos and holset turbos require very similar oil pressure.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

i stand corrected haha

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmx141 View Post
100% wrong. You should never exceed 48psi at the inlet on a MHI turbo.

Better let Mitsubishi know that so they can remove the restrictor from the OEM head feed line on all 1G 14B turbos as well as Evo VIII and IX 16G's.
I never even touched those points because I knew you'd be in here eventually. I'm sure Justin has had some form of experience with an OBX unit from either a customer or personal experience. I have no doubt his evaluation would lead to the same conclusion as mine.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 413
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 3
Quote:
How about holsets????

Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
it depends if balance shafts have been eliminated.

from a wiseman in another thread
You clearly stated you don't restrict journal bearing turbos, there was nothing about if's/and's/but's...

Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
i stand corrected haha
I stand corrected too

glad this was brought up or I would have a dead holset on my hands

Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

haha at least we can admit to it!