The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to Identify Rear Differential???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoYo_4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
Carolina, Puerto_Rico
Is there a physical way to identify any difference , between auto vs standard rear differential?

:confused: thanks

Well if your swapping in awd to the mirage..You should prbably just find out what the donar car has for a transmission...The gear ratios are different so don't screw up and put in the wrong rearend..I'll run outside and see what kind of markings are on an auto rearend..

Edit..I cant see the rearend..My gas tank is in the way and the car is backed up too far to get underneath..

There's a sticker on the rear end which identifies if it's an auto or manual. I'll take a look at mine when I get home from work.

Edit: Auto rear diff should have a sticker on it that says J1H. Manuals are B1H or B1G. If you can't read the sticker then I'm not sure what to tell you.. besides taking the cover off and actually counting the teeth on the ring and pinion.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...-rear-differential-label-number-question.html

Sticker is no more. I've heard that for 35 turns of the axle, the driveshaft flange should turn 100times.

For a 3.54

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back