Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 11

Valve Stem seals OR Turbo Seals (UPDATED)!!

Just bought my first dsm. its a 1995 eagle Talon tsi AWD. Has a 6 bolt bottom end with a 2g top end. If you need to know more about the mods let me know! I can provide a complete list.

my problem: I start the car up. NO SMOKE. idle for 30 seconds it starts to smoke. Has a SLIGHT bluish hue. let it warm up. hold revs at 3g's. let off. It will start to smoke further and even more blue.

I am wondering valve seals or turbo seals? I am personally thinking turbo seals but want some other input! Thanks!

Last edited by sTYLEZTA; 05-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Had any shaft play at all? Does it change if the car is warmed up or not?

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 399
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 10
I would lean towards the turbo but could be bad piston rings to. Valve seals will usely only smoke on intital startup after a cold soak.

View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 47
Classifieds Rating: 4
+1 on the turbo..

Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

performed a compression check. all cylinders are 140-150. Seems slightly low but nothing to horrible. turbo has minimal shaft play. Ill add more info about the car:

6 bolt bottom end
2g top end
evo3 big 16g turbo
extreme psi feed line kit and return
greddy timing belt
HKS 272's
ferrera exhaust and intake valves
Brian crower springs and lifters
ARP head studs
cometic HG
680cc injectors
fuel lab AFPR kit
fidanza flywheel
act street/strip clutch
4 spider tranny rebuild

i have a receipt for valve stem seals as well. i assume they where put in but i can't be 100% sure. i bought this car as is. It is running off a keydiver ecu with a safc neo for fine tuning.

I will be performing a leakdown test monday. What you all think so far?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 148
Classifieds Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gs Dewd View Post
I would lean towards the turbo but could be bad piston rings to. Valve seals will usely only smoke on intital startup after a cold soak.
+1

bad valve stems seals will usually smoke at startup especially when the vehicle has been sitting - for example over night.

I am leaning towards the turbo seals, does it smoke more when the car goes into boost?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

i do not notice the smoke while driving in boost honestly. it just seems to be more of an idle thing. the smoke will get worse say if i drive it down the street then come back and let it idle then it was previously to driving it. I am thinking its turbo as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 465
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 34
My 92 was smoking at idle, turbo had horrible play. Still puffed at idle after replacing with a good one. I had oil seeping out of the exhaust gasket also. Changed the seals and no more smoke at idle. Wish it had been the turbo lol.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 257
Classifieds Rating: 1
Turbo

Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 34
Classifieds Rating: 0
Its most likely the turbo since you wont see the smoke as much when your driving. 2nd if it is the valves you would see them on initial startup and no load( non driving just reving) .

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 45
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0
I'm having a similar problem. when i start it up oil pressure is where it should be and no smoke. after it warms up the oil pressure drops and it smokes at idle and under acceleration. I've been bouncing back and forth between valve seals and turbo. But which one would cause the loss of oil pressure and blue smoke when warm?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 94 Galant GS 2.4L 16V DOHC (AWD swap)
Tech Posts: 406
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to okm12346 Send a message via Skype™ to okm12346
Valve seals smoke usually at cold start up and slightly under boost. After a cold start, theres a 10 sec pause until the oil gets up there and it starts smoking. My car was spitting clouds and clouds of oil and when it warmed it would stop. It would still burn oil while driving, but it was unnoticeable. It had 250k on the engine at the time.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,584
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Do a boost leak test from the turbo inlet and if there's lots of air coming out of the crankcase breather (which it sounds like there will be) then move the boost leak tester up to the throttle body elbow. If there's still the same amount of air coming out of the crankcase breather then it's your valve seals, if there's no air coming out when you test from the TB then it's your turbo.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 34
Classifieds Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
+1

bad valve stems seals will usually smoke at startup especially when the vehicle has been sitting - for example over night.

I am leaning towards the turbo seals, does it smoke more when the car goes into boost?
x2...

Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

UPDATED!!!!!

So i took off the exhaust manifold and looked down into the turbo. Bone dry. Took off the j pipe. its clean. Took off the intake, dry. Hmm.... so i did some investigating and decided to just take the head off it and inspect the valves and guides... yea.. Took the head to Lorenzo Fast Flow Cylinder Heads in pendal, PA. pretty much every exhaust valve had play which was causing the seals to leak, along with possible poorer compression and crappy leakdown results. You could visually look in the exhaust ports and see the oil in them lol. Had the head cut for straightness, complete valve job and bronze valve guides put in it along with hot tanked. Picked up a new fel pro head gasket using the head studs already on the engine, torqued 30-60-90 in the appropriate procedure.

Get it all back together, start it up, and it INSTANTLY shuts off. Timing is dead on. The car will keep starting over and over but just keeps instantly shutting off. I have a p1300 code. Pulled a plug, they are soaked. Im assuming something is cutting spark. i know i have CAS installed properly (its ON the intake cam). Im leaning towards the ecu just taking a crap on me or a bad CAS. Really hoping cas.

Sorry for wall of text, What you all think!?

anyone???

Last edited by sTYLEZTA; 05-08-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping