Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2003 EVO VIII/2007 ZX6R
Tech Posts: 336
Photos: 17
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to xXEclipse

Oil Leaking into my Spark Plug Well

here is my previous post in which I thought i solved the problem.

Bad oil leak, What is this???

Turns out this morning I checked and more oil is in the spark plug well. Is there anyway to tel if my VC is cracked besides visibly looking, because I dont see anything, what else could be causing all this oil

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 100
Classifieds Rating: 7
I didn't see in the other posts but might have missed it but did you replace your spark plug tube seals? If not that is the first thing you do. If so then you can send the valve cover to a machine shop to have them check it for cracks.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 31
Maybe bad spark plug gaskets...I think i read some where VC gasket if tightened in the wrong sequence could do this aswell, but dont hold me to it.

Last edited by jmkhet; 02-15-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added to post

Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 614
Photos: 12
even the spark plugs can be the problem...!!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Id just buy a valve cover gasket set off ebay and itll come with the 4 plug gaskets and valve cover gasket.Replace those, and like Mazda-man said...look the VC over for hairline cracks.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 15.166 @ 98.270
Tech Posts: 3,254
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to 19Eclipse90 Send a message via Yahoo to 19Eclipse90
Do you mean where the spark plugs thread into the head or just under the spark plug cover? If the former, look into replacing your valve cover gaskets as mazda-man suggested. If the latter, the only way to tell is by looking at it carefully and that involves removing it to check the underside as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

I just found this reply on all experts.com.The guy had the same problem as you, assuming your talking about oil in the plug well.The reply was as follows......

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head.

Check for other signs of oil leaks around your engine compartment. If you see oil leaks around your alternator (front, driver side), your leak may be from the oil pump or crank seal. Try replacing the PCV valve. That valve relieves pressure under the valve cover. If that valve gets clogged, pressure will be unable to vent out appropriately, and that can force oil into your spark plug chambers, and out of any weak seals. It's the cheapest and quickest solution that you should first try.
Good luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkhet View Post
I just found this reply on all experts.com.The guy had the same problem as you, assuming your talking about oil in the plug well.The reply was as follows......

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head.

Check for other signs of oil leaks around your engine compartment. If you see oil leaks around your alternator (front, driver side), your leak may be from the oil pump or crank seal. Try replacing the PCV valve. That valve relieves pressure under the valve cover. If that valve gets clogged, pressure will be unable to vent out appropriately, and that can force oil into your spark plug chambers, and out of any weak seals. It's the cheapest and quickest solution that you should first try.
Good luck!
Not all of this is applicable to DSMs or the 4G63 engine. Take that advice with a grain of salt.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

i just checked the spark plug well bolts under the plastic cover, and they were very loose, does anyone know the amount that im supposed to torque down the bolts?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

1998 GSX (Jessica)
1999 GS-T (Hannah)

Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Hardly hand tight, 3 ft.-lbs. (that is 36 IN.-lbs.). Be aware that over-tightening will increase chances that you crack the valve cover.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Nevermind again! Under one of the bolts there is a huge crack -_- The previous owner obvious ally didnt torque it correctly -_-

Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,931
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: Tyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthyTyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Pretty common for people to torque the hell out of them when installing.

Thanks for reminding me my 3g still needs new spark plug tube seals. The oil fills the cylinder so much that it pops the plug wires out.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Glad you found the problem.

Hmm...only reason i posted up all that other info. was because the guy asking the question on why hes getting oil in the plug well had a 97 GST.My apologies if anything on there didnt pertain to the 4g63t.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 52
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via MSN to arturorz
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXEclipse View Post
Nevermind again! Under one of the bolts there is a huge crack -_- The previous owner obvious ally didnt torque it correctly -_-
Hey, don't feel bad.
I had your exact same problem about 1 month ago.
The only difference is that it was me who barely put too much torque, if any, and cracked the valve cover.
And yes, I had to tight them because they were loose too.

There's always a few for sale on the classifieds.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 100
Photos: 8
striped bolts holes can cause it too i have he same problem right now. the previous owner overtorqued the bolts and striped the bolt holes on the head. You can clearly look and see oil coming out of the bolts.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 35
Photos: 2

Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecastillo View Post
I feel like I've seen this before... what, less than 10 posts previous in this same thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkhet View Post

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head....
As I said before, not all of this is applicable to DSMs or the 4G63 engine. A bad head gasket, bad valve stem seals, or worn out valve guides will not cause oil to leak into the spark plug wells or onto the spark plug valley on the valve cover in the 4G63. These items will cause leaks into the combustion chamber, an area very different from the one discussed here. On the other hand, valve cover gaskets will not cause an oil leak into the combustion chamber.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Good thing you resolved it.