Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23

Best head bolts to buy?

Im getting my rebuilt head back from the shop tomorrow morning. I was hoping someone could help me with some info on what head bolts i should buy...

I was thinking ARP are the best? Is that true? Also i was seeing alot of "studs" when i was expecting "bolts". Do the stud sets come with nuts? Are the stud sets even for head gaskets? Or are they for intake or exaust manifold?

Whats the best Head Bolts to buy for my 95' eclipse gst, 7 bolt, 4g63? Im planning to run about 20lbs of boost.

Also any tips on installing them? Like do i need to use some kind of lube?

Thanks for any replies

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,265
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: Tanro is extremely helpful and trustworthyTanro is extremely helpful and trustworthy
ARP Headstuds.
Visit Tanro's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 733
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
ARP Headstuds.
This is what's going on my GS-T when I get my head back from the machine shop.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 260
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 0
Just look on some websites and read about ARP studs and how they are made.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 46
I have ARPs on my 6-bolt on my 2G. Cheap, work great and have been proven to work on DSM's for some very high horsepower levels.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,381
Photos: 37
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: Jeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthyJeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Yes ARP's are very good, also ARP L19's if you want super strong studs.

All ARP's come with the nuts and MOLY lubricant to reduce friction. You NEVER want to install head bolts or studs without some type of Lube. The friction without lube will cause your torque numbers to read incorrectly.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 282
the big boys around here swear by the stock headbolts, claim they are better than the standard arp's

Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,381
Photos: 37
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: Jeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthyJeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Yeah the stock 6 bolt head bolts are pretty strong. They are larger in diameter than the stock 7 bolt head bolts.

Here is some pics. The 11mm ones are from a 7 bolt engine. The fatter 12mm ones are from a 6 bolt engine.
But you also have to remember if you are putting in a larger diameter head bolt on a 7 bolt head you need to enlarge the holes slightly. One of the head bolts is also the oil supply galley for the head. If you stuff a fat bolt in the hole without enlarging the hole, you will effectively cut off the oil supply to your head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07-13-09_1744.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	114690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07-13-09_1742.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	114691  

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Race Components Inc 

Timeslip: 9.693 @ 150.800
Tech Posts: 1,568
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 18
Reputation: BrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthyBrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthyBrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to BrokenTsi
I'm using A1's but I'm pretty sure they are discontinued. I've always used ARP's but I had a problem with my head lifting one season and I decided to try something different.
Visit BrokenTsi's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdog153 View Post
Im getting my rebuilt head back from the shop tomorrow morning. I was hoping someone could help me with some info on what head bolts i should buy...

I was thinking ARP are the best? Is that true? Also i was seeing alot of "studs" when i was expecting "bolts". Do the stud sets come with nuts? Are the stud sets even for head gaskets? Or are they for intake or exaust manifold?

Whats the best Head Bolts to buy for my 95' eclipse gst, 7 bolt, 4g63? Im planning to run about 20lbs of boost.

Also any tips on installing them? Like do i need to use some kind of lube?

Thanks for any replies
Our engines used head bolts from the factory, but ARP only offers head studs as a performance replacement. Studs are a much better option than a bolt. You'll see much more accurate clamping with studs. The standard ARP's are perfect for any 4G flowing less than 60-65 lbs/min, so you'll be fine with them. The kit also includes moly lube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1kE View Post
the big boys around here swear by the stock headbolts, claim they are better than the standard arp's
The stock headbolts are pretty capable, but they don't have near the tensile strength of the standard ARPs. Who thinks stockers are better (other than Kurt E.)?

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,961
Classifieds Rating: 19
Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer View Post
The stock headbolts are pretty capable, but they don't have near the tensile strength of the standard ARPs. Who thinks stockers are better (other than Kurt E.)?
First off, anyone that could have been talking about the 7-bolt head bolts being stronger than anything we both know they are wrong.

The 3000gt guys have the same thread pitch, and shaft size as the 6-bolt dsm bolts. They have some headlift problems with their heads at high power. Many of them switched to standard arp's, and had their heads lift sooner. The service tech at 3sx makes 800 whp on stock headbolts.

Personally for me, i've had headlift at the same boost levels with 6-bolt stockers, and regular arp's. I don't think that regular arp's are an upgrade for the 6-bolt guy's, more of a sidegrade, as they seem to be about the same.

I either run stockers, or the arpl19/A1h11/map ultimate duty studs.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23
Great info thanks everyone, looks like ill be going ARP then seeing i have a 7 bolt. I have read the description on how they are made by the way. That description is the only way i could justify spending over ten dollars per bolt lol

Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 558
Classifieds Rating: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer View Post
Our engines used head bolts from the factory, but ARP only offers head studs as a performance replacement. Studs are a much better option than a bolt. You'll see much more accurate clamping with studs. The standard ARP's are perfect for any 4G flowing less than 60-65 lbs/min, so you'll be fine with them. The kit also includes moly lube.

+1 ARP L19s and other H11 yadda yaddas are HUGE overkill for almost every DSMer in the game. Most people don't need more than your standard OEM bolts. I've seen close to 500awhp on OEM.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 158
Classifieds Rating: 1
Not to thread-jack, but if I plan on keeping my car pretty stock (baring an intake and exhaust down the road) should I even bother getting ARP head studs, or just keep the OEM bolts?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
First off, anyone that could have been talking about the 7-bolt head bolts being stronger than anything we both know they are wrong.

The 3000gt guys have the same thread pitch, and shaft size as the 6-bolt dsm bolts. They have some headlift problems with their heads at high power. Many of them switched to standard arp's, and had their heads lift sooner. The service tech at 3sx makes 800 whp on stock headbolts.

Personally for me, i've had headlift at the same boost levels with 6-bolt stockers, and regular arp's. I don't think that regular arp's are an upgrade for the 6-bolt guy's, more of a sidegrade, as they seem to be about the same.

I ran 30 psi on a 50-trim and made 400 WHP on factory original 7-bolt head bolts, and never pushed a drop of coolant. That's more abuse than most people would think that they can handle, but they did it no problem.

The problem is that many people don't install their ARP's properly. They don't torque cycle them to level out the friction at the threads, many don't use moly lube, and they overtorque the crap out of them, which makes them weaker. And then when they push coolant or lift the head, they blame the product. I've seen it dozens of times. I've also seen properly installed ARP's pushed well beyond what most people think they're capable of. All in all, they'll only ever perform as well as they were installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funkenstein View Post
Not to thread-jack, but if I plan on keeping my car pretty stock (baring an intake and exhaust down the road) should I even bother getting ARP head studs, or just keep the OEM bolts?
A brand new set of OEM bolts would be just fine for you. But like I mentioned, studs aremuch better to use than bolts in general. So, if you come across a good deal on a set of ARP studs, that wouldn't be a bad option either.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 492
Photos: 24
Classifieds Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post

Personally, in my early dsm day's, I had a hell of a time with blown headgaskets, I trashed two graphite gaskets before I switched to ARP's and a Mitsu MLS headgasket.

I was trying to remember if I did the studs and MLS at the same time or if I did the ARP's - blown - and then installed the MLS... but, I'm almost sure I did them both at the same time, so don't go getting all excited about it being the MLS that salved the issue because that's not what I'm saying; I just can't say for sure, but together they work GREAT!

UPDATE: I fact, if anyone is interested... years ago, when the blog thing was new, I went through all the receipts I could find and entered them into a blog page:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blog...-transfer.html
If you look at 07/33/06, you will see that I purchased the MLS and ARP's at the same time. And if you look even closer you will see that I have in fact blown 3 head gaskets over the years: the 1st gasket around 06/2005, the second 05/2006, and the 3rd and final gasket around 07/2006. So there you have it, and supported with evidence!

I should update that receipt page, you think?

Last edited by 90gst_sean; 10-29-2010 at 07:02 PM.