Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 147
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0

something smelling like rotten eggs

I usually dont smell rotten eggs when driving. Though the rotten egg smell comes inside the car and is horrid.

Otherwise the exhaust pipe is releasing white smoke that doesnt smell like burnt gas but a mixture of something, and a piece of my bumper is becoming black.

any suggestions on what should be done? is it a bad cat?

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 44
Classifieds Rating: 1
Most likely a bad cat, pull it and check it out.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkychew View Post
Most likely a bad cat, pull it and check it out.
what do you mean by pull it?

and any idea about the rotten egg smell from the inside?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,220
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: RadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthyRadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Does the white smoke from the exhaust smell like burning coolant?

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

yes it does sort of smell like coolant.

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: RadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthyRadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Do a compression test, sounds like you might have a blown headgasket.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

When catalytic converters go bad they tend to smell like that, it is possible to smell it inside even if your windows are closed. Take the cat out its probably empty. The smoke could be entirely unrelated, However, you could be burning all your cat guts out. If you are burning oil that could also be where the white smoke is coming from. So, take care of your cat first then if you are still getting the smoke work from there.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDsm View Post
Do a compression test, sounds like you might have a blown headgasket.
would a headgasket change be an easy fix? how much would the headgasket cost

Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Head gasket is like 60$ and if you've never changed one before your in for a learning experience. Probably a 5-6 hour job for someone who isn't sure what to do. Go get a service manual and follow the directions and you should do fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkychew View Post
Head gasket is like 60$ and if you've never changed one before your in for a learning experience. Probably a 5-6 hour job for someone who isn't sure what to do. Go get a service manual and follow the directions and you should do fine.
I know a gasket is this rubber type thing that seals something shut. Just cant believe its $60, and it is a new experience for me.

and for someone who knows what to do? how long would it take?

spark plugs have to be removed as well?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesxyby999 View Post
I know a gasket is this rubber type thing that seals something shut. Just cant believe its $60, and it is a new experience for me.

and for someone who knows what to do? how long would it take?

spark plugs have to be removed as well?
$60 is cheap. A shop will rape you in the ass if you have them change it for you.

You have to remove the entire head to change the headgasket. Meaning, you will have to re-set the timing. IIRC, you also have to remove the motor mount to get the timing cover off.

You should do a compression test first, also check to see if your oil looks like there is coolant in it before you try to change it. Verify that it is the problem, then go from there.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yes I understand that they rape you, Ive had experience where they bullshit to your face.

and to see if my oil looks like there is coolant in it, I would take the dipstick out and check it?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesxyby999 View Post

and to see if my oil looks like there is coolant in it, I would take the dipstick out and check it?
It would be easier to tell if you drain it into a pan, but yes you can check the dipstick as well. It should look somewhat like chocolate milk.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,005
Classifieds Rating: 4
mmmm chocolate milk . The smell is most likely from that Cat....sounds like a good time to just go straight pipe. The Head gasket will be a pain if you have never even worked on your car

Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,056
Photos: 9
Have you ever thought about this? I've seen many cases where that smell can be the ECU going bad. Check it out:

This is an ECM with leaky capacitors
Visit Chicken Patty's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 11 Genesis Coupe
Tech Posts: 52
Another way to check is to take your oil cap off, you should be able to tell if there's coolant from there. I have to ask, what kind of work do you do in your car? Because it honestly sounds like you are pretty new to the game. You're best bet is to find someone in your regional forums to help you out. Buy them a case of beer for their help, and try and just have them supervise you so you get the experience without doing more harm than good. Both problems seem to be unrelated, so I'd start with the cat, and move on from there.

Last edited by snowborder714; 09-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

As far as the oil cap, removing the radiator cap will also reveal if coolant/oil is mixing. But if the cat was bad, I don't see how the smell would be in the cabin of the car, unless he has it open after the cat or has a leak in the exhaust somewhere towards the front of the car and it's going out by there and finding it's way into the cabin.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 11 Genesis Coupe
Tech Posts: 52
However, if the smell is strong enough it WILL get in your cabin. I've ran rich before on a car with all the exhaust runnin to the back,no exhaust leaks, and you could still smell it. Just like if you fart and keep going you can sometimes still smell it.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well yeah, as far as the smell getting in I suppose you are right. I have been able to smell the gas fumes inside the car with my exhaust going outback. I think he should also pull out his ECU and just check it out, shouldn't be that hard to do.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 36
I had a rotten egg smell on my first 1g and it actually was the ecu. The capacitors leaked and messed up my whole ecu i had to buy another 1g ecu and before i put it in the car i upgraded the capacitors to new, higher heat rated ones.

ECU Capacitor Replacement Kit (89-94)