Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,632
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Artago
Angry

Pin Hole in Oil Pan. What to patch with?

Hi all,

I have a tiny pin hole in my oil pan next to my welded -12AN fitting. The hole is around the weld and causing a slow oil leak.

I'd like to sand it down and patch it with something. I was thinking of using JB weld but I wanted to know if anyone knew of a product (that I can find in any local auto parts store) that would be more suited for the repair.

Please advise as to what product you would recommend.

Thanks,

Tom

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Tech Posts: 5,251
Classifieds Rating: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
pull the pan and have it welded.

over time the expoies will crack and flake .

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
Classifieds Rating: 0
jb weld or quick steal just clean the area and scuff it up a bit

i've used that quick steal on everything from gas tanks to radiator leaks carburetors etc...

Last edited by cutty2fast; 08-03-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
pull the pan and have it welded.

over time the expoies will crack and flake .
I've removed and re-installed the oil pan 3 times in the past 3 days (don't ask). Fresh synthetic oil each time. So I'm getting a by tired of doing it.

I'll fix the welds next time I take it off. I'm just looking for a quick fix until I can do a proper fix. This is my DD.

Tom

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 927
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 1
i had a crack at the bend where the gasket goes and it went along that bend and a bit down the side of the oil pan.. was about 2inches long.. i used JB Weld! no problem so far!

if you use jb weld MAKE SURE you strip the paint around the crack very well, sand it even better, and scuff it up with some 200 grit or less for the jb weld to have a good place to bond to! Make sure you go well over the edge of the crack but thin the layers out the further you go. let it dry sand it down with some 300 grit or finer! and reapply some if needed! then sand again with fine sand paper spray some primer and paint!! i did mine well over a year ago and have yet to have any issues!

ALTHO your best bet is to just get a new oil pan or weld it but if you dont have a welder the price to weld the oil pan might get up there. BUT welding would be overall better than jb weld if its welded correctly!

good luck

shawn
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty2fast View Post
jb weld or quick steal just clean the area and scuff it up a bit

i've used that quick steal on everything from gas tanks to radiator leaks carburetors etc...
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it locally.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatershawn View Post
i had a crack at the bend where the gasket goes and it went along that bend and a bit down the side of the oil pan.. was about 2inches long.. i used JB Weld! no problem so far!

if you use jb weld MAKE SURE you strip the paint around the crack very well, sand it even better, and scuff it up with some 200 grit or less for the jb weld to have a good place to bond to! Make sure you go well over the edge of the crack but thin the layers out the further you go. let it dry sand it down with some 300 grit or finer! and reapply some if needed! then sand again with fine sand paper spray some primer and paint!! i did mine well over a year ago and have yet to have any issues!

ALTHO your best bet is to just get a new oil pan or weld it but if you dont have a welder the price to weld the oil pan might get up there. BUT welding would be overall better than jb weld if its welded correctly!

good luck

shawn
Awesome, thanks SHAWN. Good to hear that it's holding. I was reluctant to use JB weld for fear of it not sealing (and wasting my time).

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by Artago; 08-03-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 132
I've ran into the exact same issue on an old pan of mine and I can tell you that JB Weld did not work for me. Unless you can get it immaculantly clean, it wont hold well enough to prevent oil from getting by. I too would recommend correcting it with a welder.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer View Post
I've ran into the exact same issue on an old pan of mine and I can tell you that JB Weld did not work for me. Unless you can get it immaculantly clean, it wont hold well enough to prevent oil from getting by. I too would recommend correcting it with a welder.
Dang. Not what I wanted to hear

Can I weld it with the pan still on the car? Or would that fry some electronics (like the ECU)?

Tom

Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artago View Post
Dang. Not what I wanted to hear

Can I weld it with the pan still on the car? Or would that fry some electronics (like the ECU)?

Tom
You might be able to, but you'd have a hard time getting it clean enough to weld to it if it's still on the car and full of oil.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
How about fixing something like this? Can I just patch it with some scrap metal? Or just find a used OEM? I'm thinking it would just be easier and ease-of-mind to get another one.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3807/1001275n.jpg

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
you will be safe with the jb weld just make sure you prep it right, its not like its under alot of pressure or anything....

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMunknown View Post
How about fixing something like this? Can I just patch it with some scrap metal? Or just find a used OEM? I'm thinking it would just be easier and ease-of-mind to get another one.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3807/1001275n.jpg
That looks like it is easily fixable with a welder. Of course, it would have to come off the car and be throughly cleaned first. If it were me and if it's for a 6-bolt, I'd just replace the pan. 6-bolt pans are a dime-a-dozen. What went through it?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty2fast View Post
you will be safe with the jb weld just make sure you prep it right, its not like its under alot of pressure or anything....
I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario I gotta drop the pan and weld it up.

Tom

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer
That looks like it is easily fixable with a welder. Of course, it would have to come off the car and be throughly cleaned first. If it were me and if it's for a 6-bolt, I'd just replace the pan. 6-bolt pans are a dime-a-dozen. What went through it?

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4045/1001295v.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3400/1001247.jpg

Haven't been able to drive the 2G since August 2nd of '09.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,339
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 11
Reputation: crimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I'd suggest the use of black RTV. It's flexible and oil resistant. I've sealed up leaks coming from the pinch welds with it.

Kanade: 06 Ninja250

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,320
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Take it to a welding shop and they can put a spot of bronze on it. And they should be able to do that bronzing with the pan on the motor...seen that done before if it's a small pinhole leak as you mentioned...

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ok so I took a look at it and the hole is in a tough spot to weld which is made tougher by leaving it on the car.

So I dropped the pan again. To those of you keeping count, this would be the 4th time in a week.

Going to clean it up, grind, sand and prep it. Then I'll take it to a muffler shop because my arc welder sucks the big one.

Once it's welded I'm going to sand it again and JB weld the whole weld all the way around for extra insurance because I don't want to do this a 5th time.

I'll keep you updated and I'll snap some pics when it's done.

Going to mark this thread as resolved. Cheers everyone and thanks for the help.

Tom

Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)

I feel your pain, Tom. I went through 4 pans in 2 weeks last summer. I got pretty quick at swapping them, but my patience was spent by the time I was finished. And I haven't had to touch it since, so I'm happy.

Good luck getting yours to seal.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member

^ Thanks Paul. I've lost patience with this as well.

I've gotten oil pan swaps down to an art. Takes me 5 hours to disassemble everything remove the pan and reassemble it all again.

Hey, I got a question for you. Oil pan.... gasket or no gasket?

If gasket, then what type? OEM (cork) or rubber?

Tom

Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: AUDI S4 twin turbo
Tech Posts: 270
Photos: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to xhackerekx
use only gray silicon with OEM specification.