Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 55
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 0

Oil On Top Of Engine????

This might be a dumb question but idk why its doing this but every time i go driven the talon when i pull over there is always some oil on the top the of motor just sitting there and idk what to do to fix it need some help ### ###

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 348
Photos: 6
Is there a crack in your valve cover??? That's how mine got oil on the top all the time. Especially under load it would just keep coming up. Happens usually when you over torque the bolts to the valve cover.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 46
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Jonman409
Where is the oil on the valve cover? I ended up having to replace the Oil cap on mine for similar reasons.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Photos: 4
Leaky oil cap or maybe oil blowing out your dip stick as well. Those and like said before, cracked valve cover. Is it getting on your hood as well?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 105
Photos: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to ambush91
bought a 1g a lil while back and noticed the same problem, the stock bov was vented to atmosphere but there was a bit of oil getting into the intake system so when it would blow off it would spray oil all over the valve cover.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 103
Photos: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Billiam
I also had this problem and it was a mixture of the valve cover gasket and the oil cap.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 55
Photos: 5
There is oil in the corner of the cover and yes its on the hood

Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Photos: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincone91 View Post
There is oil in the corner of the cover and yes its on the hood
Sounds like you are blowing your dip stick out. I used some zip ties to hold my dip stick down. Some people pinch the tube so it wont come out too easy but i wouldnt do that. You can go buy a new stick from mitsu or maybe from one of the venders here. Clean up what you can and see if you get more oil in the valve cover after fixing your dip stick.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 219
Classifieds Rating: 1
If it is your dipstick, I believe it is STM, sells a new dipstick tube with a piece on it that holds the dipstick down. Also, If the dipstick is to blame, check your motor for excessive blowby. It should only blow that dipstick out if there is too much backpressure in the crankcase for the seal on the dipstick to handle. Check pcv valve and system and all that stuff just to be safe and everything.