The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How do I tell if my frame is bent

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetJoker187

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2006
Brownsburg, Indiana
well last night I hit someone in the ass and now I need to know is there anyway I can tell buy just looking under the car and hood if the frame is bent ?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes there is but you need to take the headlights, hood, and front bumper off. If it is bent you will notice that it goes to one side more than the other.

you cant because the frame is slightly curved in the front unless you knotice some really messed up parts. under the fender there is a dimpled sheet of structual metal that in front colisions causes it to fold. if i still had my 1g i would go out and use a tape measure to measure the frame distances for you. i can still go to a friends house and use his 93 thow if you want me to. it no problem.

the frame on the 1gs are dam tuff in the front IMOA. how fast were you going when you hit or how fast did you car mae contact. it looks like its mostly on top near the hood. i say its ok. you dont have to worry about the alignment because the controll arms are attached to the subframe and isnt as voneralbe even with a bent front frame.

Well those zones are called crush zones just to clear all that up. And yes can tell if a frame is bent just by looking at it. I work in a body shop at a dealership where I live so I know these things. Frame could also be bent up or down. The only true way to tell though is to use a tram guage on 4 mounting areas within the dog house such as headlight mounting positions and hood hinge mounting positions or by using a measuring system. You can try to replicate a tram guage by using a piece of string measure 4 points with the bolts still in them and put the string in the middle of the bolt on the head. Take it across to see how long it is. Then compare it to the other side. This will tell you if your dog house is square or not!

I was going 30 or so by the time I hit the van I have to go get a towrope and get this bad boy back home then i guess i will take a look under the hood and see what i am working with. I know there was some oil on the ground so that is never a good thing.

Both these are bent and twisted bad along with everything pushed back about 4inc's so I take it the frame is bent ?

I was going 30 or so by the time I hit the van I have to go get a towrope and get this bad boy back home then i guess i will take a look under the hood and see what i am working with. I know there was some oil on the ground so that is never a good thing.

Both these are bent and twisted bad along with everything pushed back about 4inc's so I take it the frame is bent ?

you could of gotten lucky like sum due and had the damage swept up and just got everything else in the front. the oil might be from the oil cooler if you have one or the filter area.

I found out the leak was coming from the radiator It is busted and pushed back all the way back to the j pipe. If the frame is not bent I wonder oh bad it is going to be trying to fix this thing never done any body work before guess it is time to learn or sell the thing.

I found out the leak was coming from the radiator It is busted and pushed back all the way back to the j pipe. If the frame is not bent I wonder oh bad it is going to be trying to fix this thing never done any body work before guess it is time to learn or sell the thing.

if you can get a welder and practice on some thin metal you will be fine. all it really is is alot of pinch welds that you have to drill out. make shure u use a seam sealer of some sort when re welding the new shell parts in place. it will eventually rust from the inside out. most of the 2g rusted shock tower problems are because of that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back