Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2003, 06:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 78
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to metasonic

Stereo has power...but won't turn on... any ideas?

Stereo has power...but won't turn on... any ideas?
OK- I just bought my GSX.. It has the infinity sound system, tape player with the 6 cd changer. The cd changer has been taken out, and it has the tape player still in. It gets power, shows the clock, ect.. but it won't turn on when i push the power button (volume knob in) I've checked just about all of the fuses.. Any idea what it could be? Also which fuse would it be? the only radio fuse i could find was under the hood, and it was grouped with another fuse, both were good. thanks.

Visit metasonic's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,165
Photos: 31
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to cucumber Send a message via Yahoo to cucumber
I was going to say fuse, but that's not the dilemna.

Check your ground wires.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 322
On my 1G sometimes my radio or CD won't turn on despite the clock being on. Pulling the fuse out and reseating sometimes help, but I kinda doubt this is your problem too.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.983 @ 93.610
Tech Posts: 206
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to m_eclipse_96 Send a message via Yahoo to m_eclipse_96
Quote:
Originally posted by cucumber
I was going to say fuse, but that's not the dilemna.

Check your ground wires.
check the ground? i dont think so the whole head unit wouldnt work if the ground wasnt hooked up, he can see the time so u have to know the ground is hooked up then..... anywayz

i dont know what the problem could be in this case, i would just say go get a whole new head unit...... the stock head unit looks to plane
Attached Images

Visit m_eclipse_96's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-18-2003, 09:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 102
Send a message via AIM to tdoshi9 Send a message via Yahoo to tdoshi9
its not the ground!! its not the power if its got power to it and showing the clock! try this take the ground wire off of the batery and wait about 3 or 4 mins the conect it! that should work and if it don't looks like its the radio! really i have delt with this in the past and it turns out more time than most its the radio has locked its self, from like power serges so just do that and see!! if not the just upgrade it!! good luck

tony
tdoshi9 <~~ on AIM

Old 02-18-2003, 10:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,009
Photos: 7
yeh...I also think there is a radio fuse inside the car in the fuse box...its down by the pedals on the left side you'll see it. But if it is getting power I don't see how it would be a fuse. And it also wouldn't be a ground...I have question though. does it show that the CD is playing but you just can't hear it? First thing I would do is take off the negetive battery cable while the ignition is on but engine isn't running and leave it out for about 1min then plug it back on and see if it works...if it doesn't then try taking out the radio and making sure all of the wires are plugged in cause there are some other wierd ones that I don't know what they do...but they're there and they do something. If you don't know how to take that stuff apart just post the question in this thread or pm me I'll tell you all the screws and stuff. Don't worry I've done it a million times and nothing will break if you are careful

Old 02-19-2003, 03:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

I'm almost sure that its just locked now that i think about it... but- I don't have the anti-theft code... Would I be able to get this from a mitsubishi dealership with my VIN number? Or am i just screwed? thanks.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 741
Photos: 1
Send a message via AIM to Bd1000Eclipse
Quote:
Originally posted by metasonic
I'm almost sure that its just locked now that i think about it... but- I don't have the anti-theft code... Would I be able to get this from a mitsubishi dealership with my VIN number? Or am i just screwed? thanks.
provide proof that it's your car and they will give it to you
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-19-2003, 02:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 644
sometimes their on the unit. It was on mine, but it rubbed off before i realized it. Mitsu will give it to you, I took in the radio and they gave it to me for 10 bucks

Old 02-19-2003, 03:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 410
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via ICQ to DSMhelex Send a message via AIM to DSMhelex Send a message via Yahoo to DSMhelex
where would it be on the unit? is it just an unidentified number on the top of it as a sticker?

Visit DSMhelex's homepage! 

Old 02-19-2003, 03:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 644
mine was on the top, 4 digit code. check your pm

Old 02-19-2003, 04:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 582
Send a message via AIM to eclipse13
if it isn't the lock check the speaker wires.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

I think it may be broken- It won't show anything but the clock.. even when i disconnect/reconnect the battery.. Has anyone seen this before ? The dealership gave me the code for free when i gave them the serial, but it won't even ask for the code... hmm.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,009
Photos: 7
just buy a new headunit...you can get some nice really cheap ones from www.etronics.com I got mine about a year ago and it only cost like 160 for a headunit that is 280 in best buy.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 486
Send a message via AIM to Laser-man
i say check www.refurbdepot.com i got a 400 dollar head unit for less than 200, and it had a 90 day waranty.

Old 02-20-2003, 05:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 415
Photos: 4
it could be internal, or if u accidentally pinched a speaker wire some how, enough to cut it and ground it out, the deck MAY go into protection mode.