Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 113
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 2

How to fill ball joints with no grease fitting.

Do you just fill the boot with grease, then slip it on?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,434
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: GRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
I guess you could do that, but normally they are just nongreasable. If they don't have a grease fitting then you can't grease them.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 113
Photos: 3
They came with the boot detached. There is no grease at all in them.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,434
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: GRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
I would just put some grease in there and put them together.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 297
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via MSN to pur97tsifwd
they make a fitting that you can put on a grease gun that will slip in the top or bottom of the rubber boot and insert grease on the ball joint you might have to take the nut off. This is after the ball joint is installed.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
Those needles for grease guns are for tiny tiny grease fittings, such as those you find on small heim joints, not injecting grease into a boot. If the joint doesn't have a fitting, you are never going to get grease to go into it. Joints that are meant to be greased have clearance for the grease and channels in the socket to allow grease to flow around it. I'm afraid you are SOL.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-29-2010, 01:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,581
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
When I installed a new OEM boot on my eBay compression arm a weekend or two ago, I just slathered grease in/around the ball joint and then put the boot on.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,736
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 216
I've always drilled, tapped, and installed my own fittings in the non-greaseable tie rod ends on DSMs; never been faced with changing a ball joint on my own yet (dealer replaced the last ones under recall), but they would get drilled and tapped as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 195
Photos: 10
I say drill and tap or just use the grease needle.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 762
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 16
Ok I like the drill and tap idea but how do you know you get all the shavings out?
I have done that with different bearing housings before but the bearings were removable. No chance of contamination. maybe run a vacuum right at the point of drilling and taping but I still don't know.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
Classifieds Rating: 0
thats what i was about to say lol it dont matter just drill a hole in it and screw in a zerk fitting!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 675
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 8
yup you just use the needle....

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 427
Photos: 31
I say drive the thing until the ball joint becomes loose, then replace these whole assembly.. will come pre-lubed and ready to install from the factory. Good to go for another 100K

Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 36
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0
to keep the shavings out, put some thick grease on the drill and tap in the grooves. the shavings will stick to the grease and keep most of the shavings from entering the ball joint.