Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

Closed Thread

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2003, 01:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0

Lights dim at idle, bad alternator?

I have a 98 GST and the original Battery finally bit the dust a couple months ago (after a few jumpstarts). Replaced it with a nice new one, and now I've noticed that when idling, the lights seem to dim a bit. I'm guessing the alternator is about to die. Anybody know how much a new one costs compared to a rebuilt and if a rebuilt is even worth it? How about an aftermarket?

Any help would be great...

Steelgrave

Visit steelgrave's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points   
Old 02-17-2003, 02:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 51
Photos: 1
Dimming lights at lower RPM usually signify a bad alternator. Don't know about the replacement though.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,968
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to KRAZYKOREAN Send a message via Yahoo to KRAZYKOREAN

Re: Lights dim at idle, bad alternator?

Quote:
Originally posted by steelgrave
I have a 98 GST and the original Battery finally bit the dust a couple months ago (after a few jumpstarts). Replaced it with a nice new one, and now I've noticed that when idling, the lights seem to dim a bit. I'm guessing the alternator is about to die. Anybody know how much a new one costs compared to a rebuilt and if a rebuilt is even worth it? How about an aftermarket?

Any help would be great...

Steelgrave

Go get it checked at like autozone etc. and they will let you know, it does sound like the voltage regulator is bad. So get it checked

Old 02-17-2003, 02:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 51
Photos: 1
My 95 GSX does the same thing, kind of annoying, but it always starts strong even in this cold ass minnesota weather.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 391
Photos: 3
Both my 1g's have dim lights at idle. I've been repeatedly told that it's normal until you rev it up. When driving there's no problems.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-17-2003, 03:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,968
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to KRAZYKOREAN Send a message via Yahoo to KRAZYKOREAN
But also I would check just incase, because when your volateg regulator is bad on the alternator it does the same thing, but then after a little bit it starts to over charge your battery and then your battery just takes a sh$t. my optima battyer pretty much exploded. Well not exploded but yeah. I would just check, for mine sake.

Old 02-17-2003, 05:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 778
I had the EXACT same problem. It turned out one of the battery cables came loose on the terminal. It was still connected but for some reason it wasn't a "complete" connection or something. Trying tightening the cables on your terminals and for anyone w/ an older battery its a good idea to clean the terminals while you're at it. I know it sounds like i'm full of crap but at least give it a try. it worked for me and saved me having to buy another battery.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 49
Photos: 5
Send a message via AIM to sho_pow
I had a similar problem, but it was after I replaced my alternator (rebuilt). My ground wire to the alternator wasn't tight so I wasn't properly grounding. You should check that also just in case.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.983 @ 93.610
Tech Posts: 206
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to m_eclipse_96 Send a message via Yahoo to m_eclipse_96
hold on a sec, how can u people sit here and say its the alternator, the alternator is what charges the battery, if your just idling then the alternator hasnt kicked in yet, and then the battery would be just running on its own, the alternator dosnt kick in till about 2000rpm. i would say that if ## lights are diming when idling then u bought a bad battery, u must have a waranty on that battery so take it back and get it replaced.
Visit m_eclipse_96's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-18-2003, 09:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally posted by m_eclipse_96
hold on a sec, how can u people sit here and say its the alternator, the alternator is what charges the battery, if your just idling then the alternator hasnt kicked in yet, and then the battery would be just running on its own, the alternator dosnt kick in till about 2000rpm. i would say that if ## lights are diming when idling then u bought a bad battery, u must have a waranty on that battery so take it back and get it replaced.
but if the alternator is bad then it isnt charging the battery so when the lights just run off of the battery it gets less juice than it should.

im guessing alternator. You can try tightening you cables and see how that helps. Clean the corrosion of first if you have any (baking soda and water work wonders)

Old 02-19-2003, 10:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.983 @ 93.610
Tech Posts: 206
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to m_eclipse_96 Send a message via Yahoo to m_eclipse_96
im guessing alternator. You can try tightening you cables and see how that helps. Clean the corrosion of first if you have any (baking soda and water work wonders) [/B][/QUOTE]

the lights only dim when its idling, so when he gets going and hits about 2000rpm the alternator will kick in and then it wont be just running off the battery, geezz

forget it if u wanna think its the alternator go ahead i told u what i thought.............. peace
Visit m_eclipse_96's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
Normal alternators (on "newer" vehicle that has at least EFI) like on a toyota, have a voltage regulator, and as soon as the voltage drops the alternator will kick in, and has nothing to do with the RPM's. On a older vehicle the alternator will just run all the time.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 455
Classifieds Rating: 2
nice gravedigging!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
Normal alternators (on "newer" vehicle that has at least EFI) like on a toyota, have a voltage regulator, and as soon as the voltage drops the alternator will kick in, and has nothing to do with the RPM's. On a older vehicle the alternator will just run all the time.
Halloween or not, you dug me up for that?
Attached Images

Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Closed Thread